Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

Dive Bombing Bug...

Around this time of year, I get just downright tired of mowing even though I ride the mower.

The weather is starting to change and although it's nice out, it's just time to stop. I've tried telling that to the grass/weeds...to no avail.

Last Friday while mowing, I was being attacked by this big bug. First time it's happened and I didn't like it. It even landed on my back and my head! Thank goodness all the kids were at school because I sure yelled, cussed and swatted all over the place. When I mowed near the creek, which scares the heebie jeebies out of me because the sides may collapse at any time due to erosion, IT was determined to get me. Period. And I looked and sounded like the loon I am.

All done with yard and resting on the back deck, I happened to look up and damned if he wasn't staring at me from the fence! My neighbor says it's a cicada. I thought they had come and gone. Maybe he's lost. They were having an air show this weekend and I think he belongs there. I hope he finds his way soon. I didn't kill him this time, but.....


You may embiggen if you dare. I seem to be obsessed with David's camera and zooming.

Any thoughts on what it is?

7 comments:

Golden To Silver Val said...

Wow, it sure looks like a Cicada to me too. Be a shame to kill it. They lay dormant for years, struggle to get above ground and anxiously seek out a mate. After mating they curl up their toes and die! What a horrible life. But, think about this. I once saw a documentary on them and the narrator made a sound like a female Cicada and the male came right to him and tried to get on his hand. You know the noise they make....could it be he mistook the sound of your mower for a female?? (a throaty husky voiced one at that....Janis Joplin....lolololol)

Mental P Mama said...

LOL. I think we need to start a commune. Bug free.

joanne said...

for reals??? How disgusting. I just can't stand bugs and if I saw something like that i'd probably wet myself!

farmlady said...

Wow! This would make a great sy-fy movie.

Can this town survive... as the giant beast flies into women driving lawn mower.
See the harrowing story of a woman and her family fighting off the giant Cicada from outer space.
How one family survives the attack.

That's a BIG bug. Glad we don't have them here in Northern California.
My only advice is... DUCK!

TonjiaT said...

its a cicada. when we lived in PA, one year they were so bad that people had to walk outside with umbrellas!!!

they are ugly little bastards aren't they??? LOLOL

Donna said...

Eeeeewww! I would have killed it, while letting out a blood curdling scream!

Daryl said...

Aside from its being disgusting I have no idea what it is.