Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Monday, November 29, 2010

Two Years...

David is coming back home tonight. It's been 2 years since he left and I've hoped and prayed he'd come back so I could spend more time with him. 

About 2 months ago, I resigned myself to the fact that he was making his life down there and I'd have to deal with it. I just gave it up to God and whatever is meant to be will be. 

A week ago this past Friday, he shocked me with the news. We'd spoken briefly about the job opening and that maybe he should interview for the experience and to impress the higher ups. He came up and interviewed and I didn't even know about it. When he told me, I wasn't sure if I was more excited he was coming back or the fact he'd blown them away in the interview and had finally gotten the recognition he deserved after all the work he'd done in the past 2 years. He beat out the guy who trained him when he first started and who has a bachelor's degree. 

He was in an extremely difficult position and made the best of it by working so hard and was continually staying frustrated at management. There was no promotion to be had in that location of hospitals. They were run by the Charlotte leg of Novant. He'd often said he'd eventually be back as he worked his way up. He's with the same company but under a different area. He's been promoted to SGT and will supervise 8 people with one manager over him at a new hospital located about 15 miles from here opening in March. 

They are also building a new hospital in Clemmons. The next guy in line for the manager doesn't want it and David has his eye on it already. All this is wonderful and I'm so very proud of him!

However, I do have mixed emotions. He went down there only knowing one person. He has gotten involved, met so many friends, and just recently met a girl he likes...a lot. He was enjoying living in the little 2 bedroom house (alone) he was renting from his Dad's now new wife (they just eloped about a month ago). I know he HATES coming back home to live because he's been so independent, but he needs to get back in school and save money.

So here I sit. Thrilled and sad. This could all be in my head and he may be excited as crap. They are giving him a going away party today, he works until 12 and then packing just what he'll need to get started. He starts the new job tomorrow at 8 a.m. He'll be working at the big house until January, when they start getting ready to open the new smaller hospital. His Dad is renting a truck, eventually and they will be moving all his stuff here...and I don't know where in here....before Christmas.

I think I'll just follow his lead on the emotion end of it and keep my mouth on mute as much as possible until I can gauge how he's feeling. I'll just be a listener and take it one day at a time. It will all be okay because it must have been meant to be :)

16 comments:

Donna said...

Oh Debbie! This is wonderful news. And if it's meant to be, the new girlfriend will follow, shortly!Lol
I know you are So flippin' proud of him!!!
hughugs

claudia said...

I am so ed for you! I know how many times I wished that my youngest would come back home to live, but she is my independent one and it will never happen. :(
I think you are doing the right thing in letting him call the emotional shots.
I bet you are one proud mama right now!

Sally said...

Congratulations to your sweet boy! He's moving on up, and that's what we love to see. I can understand what you're saying about the emotions. I go through it every time the girls move back here, and I just try to keep my thoughts to myself as it usually means a "break up" of some kind. But, it's all good, and it will be good for you and David. ((((hugs))))

Marge said...

Oh, what exciting news! He's coming back because he wants to, not because he has to, and that's good! I wish my Alaska kid would come home, but I guess he's so happy up there that he'd probably be miserable down here.

I'm happy for you! Yup, keep your mouth shut and enjoy for as long as possible!!!! Blessings......

joanne said...

I'm happy for you and for him too! Just remember that it will not be the same as when he lived there before...he's been out in the world now and knows more than you realize! I hope it all works well and for the best...as it should be..;j

Donna said...

Hit that mute button! God's in control and that's that. Just roll with it! Congrats to your sweet son - a new chapter in the making...

Laura~peach~ said...

HUGS!~

Maribeth said...

O now there is the challenge. Keeping the lips zipped. I know with Mandy I would LOVE to tell her what I think and feel about things, but as her Mom, I have to keep quiet and let her talk.
Thanks for stopping by.

Mental P Mama said...

I am so excited for you. It is a wonderful opportunity for him to grow, and you to spend more time with him...mouth on mute? Can you tell me how to do that?

Daryl said...

SO happy for you and keeping all digits crossed he gets what he sets his eye on ..

Anonymous said...

GREAT news!!! and good for David! Amazing doors are opening for him, yay!

Terry said...

Howdy Sweetie
Oh my congratulations to your handsome son :)
Now as for you dear take a deep breath and relax you are entering a new season of life brand new chapter .Enjoy it and learn and grow into it moment by moment .
Don't worry about if it will work God opened this door for this time so there will be a way .
I must warn you it will be very different than you imagine and yet it will also be like putting on your favorite pair of old shoes you just can't let go of because they feel just right .
May you both relax and enjoy this time and remember to look forward to the goals that are within reach.
How do you eat and Elephant why one bite at a time of course.
Gotta love the wisdom of five year olds :)
Take care and have a blessed weekend.
Until next time
Happy Trails

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

He looks like a wonderful young man. I know exactly how you feel. My oldest married young and moved three hours away to go to college...which he completed and came back to town and has lived here ever since. However I recently found out that it was his sweet wife that insisted in returning to his home town because it was SHE that wanted to be near or family (it's large) but..now..I am beginning to believe he feels he has missed his dream. Too late now..and my son is not happy. I never knew. He let his wife realize her dream..gave in..and now there is a deep seated sadness that saddens me.
I am grateful for the years I have had with him..but..truthfully, I would rather he be happy and to have realized his dreams.
My very best wishes to you.
Thank you for becoming a followers. I am at my limit as far as who I can follow, seems they DO have a limit on blogger. But...be rest assured I will return. Do stop in again...and welcome!!!
Mona

Flea said...

Oh WOW. I hope he loves what he'll be doing, the people he'll work with. I really hope that this is a good growth experience for both of you. Change is good, right? :)

Carletta said...

DEBBIE!
Hi!
You left me a comment in the last few weeks. I was away for almost eight weeks. Your link then didn't work. So glad it did today. :)
It's always fun to look back but it makes me sad sometimes because I feel so old.
I just read that your son is moving back. How wonderful for you. I KNOW you missed him. Like you said what is meant to be will be.
Lots of things happening in my life. You saw the new Grandbaby.
I'm bookmarking you so I can come visit more often after the new year. Leaving again in a few days.
Take care and have a wonderful Merry Christmas!!

Lisa said...

Oh Debbie, please forgive me for being so behind on reading the blogs. This is some great news. I am so happy for you. Even though there will be some changes in your relationship now (as he has gotten older and more independant) it will be a new level and that is just great. It is after 1:30 a.m. and I just had to come over and read your blog before I went to bed to start my busy week again, and I am so glad I did. I will be thinking of you and hoping that all your "dreams" have or are coming true! Congratulations!