Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Forty Two Or Three Years....

Forty two or three years ago...I attended Dalton Jr. High School.

President Obama is visiting this same building today to speak with community college students and faculty and to tour the Biotech Department. 

I have no chance in the world of seeing him, although I would like to see his motorcade. My only chance is to go to the hospital where David works and get on the roof or something.

This event did bring back a few memories. 

In the gymnasium where he is speaking, I was hit in the mouth by a basketball and chipped my bottom tooth which caused them to discolor. Later on, in the Air Force, the dentist felt the two bottom teeth could be whitened by root canals. Infection set in and I missed a week of work and also had a 3rd root canal on a tooth I mentioned was sore.

In this gymnasium, I tried out for Cheerleading for the only time in my life. I did not make it. Rooster did. 

Marcia Kennedy, who I walked home with every day...Yes we walked...a long way...brought in a necklace. I took it as a joke and hid it in the back of my desk and forgot about it. At the end of the day, the teacher announced Marcia's necklace was missing. There was not a hole big enough for me to crawl into. 

Miss Colter, who I will never forget, made me write "I will not talk in English-Social Studies class ever again. 500 friggin times in cursive. 

A group of my friends, on our front porch, managed to convince my Mom to let me shave my legs so I could wear pantyhose. 

Last year, I participated in the March of Dimes walk and Rooster and I stood outside the building and reminisced over our time there. Looking back, of course those were some of the good times. 

President Obama, being the outstanding basketball player he is...would surely NOT hit me in the mouth.

14 comments:

claudia said...

This was a fun post. Even the chipped tooth memories. Isn't it fun to look back? I wish I remembered more about my youth. I'm having a hard time keeping up with the day to day stuff!
Good to hear from you! Love Ya Girlfriend!

Laura~peach~ said...

HOPE YOU GOT TO GO AND HOPE YOU GET TO SEE WHAT YOU WANT TO :)

Daryl said...

Love this reminiscing, it made me remember some HS stuff too .. like Fran Bender's bad nose job and her owning a real Chanel handbag ... to this day I cannot think of her without remembering that bag ...

Sally said...

I read that you were freezin' today! But, I hope you enjoyed going. :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post!! I also love that you are still living where you grew up. I have moved home too, and every day I look out and thank God that he allowed be to come back home..

Someday we should all trade stories from junior high. LOL

thanks for the memories Debbie..

joanne said...

Oh my, it sounds like we went to the same jr. high!! fun times heh? Hope you had a chance to see the man today...

Donna said...

Fun memories...but I'm afraid I'll pass on the Obama appearence...
Have fun!
hughugs

Terry said...

Howdy
Oh my this was awesome LOL moments started flooding my mind as I thought back on school days .
It is amazing what blogging can bring about .
Of course in my own life there was a lot of pain and humiliation along the way as well as laughs.
Some days I wonder if God will cut me some slack on the character lessons .
Have a wonderful day and try not to freeze up on the roof should you go !
Take care now
Until next time
Happy Trails

Mental P Mama said...

LOL @ Daryl...she's such a New Yawker. I remember those times too. Some fun. Some mortifying;)

Putz said...

doug carlyle push my head down while i was tsaking a drink from the fountain and chipped my permanent front tooth< didn't have money to get it fixed and so i have spent my life not smiling and that is also why the girls avoided me{at least in my mind}

Sarge Charlie said...

thanks for you kind words, sorry, i would not cross the street to see obama

Snooty Primadona said...

Girl, you are an absolute HOOT!

Bronwyn said...

This was an awesome post! I love it. such good memories.

SandyCarlson said...

Your post makes me think of what these kinds of visits mean. I remember years ago Mr. Clinton came to Bridgeport, Connecticut. My dyed-in-the-wool Republican friend was part of the event because his company was in on it. However these things work. He came back a changed man. It takes a lot of person to fill that role, even if he is human! I guess when they visit our schools we have to remember they are one of us. That is a great thing. Because we are great, too.