Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Gardenia Project

Growing gardenias challenges even the most experienced gardeners. Native to the warm, temperate climates of China, Japan and the Pacific islands, gardenias remain popular despite their finicky nature, thanks to their gorgeous blossoms and sweet scent. 

Doing a little research here at the "growing gardenias in NC" site that Google guided me to.

Proper site selection outdoors is important to growing gardenias. Gardenias don’t like being moved once they’re planted, so choose your site wisely. Gardenias require part sun to full sun. Morning sun followed by dappled shade creates the perfect light conditions for gardenias. Avoid planting gardenias next to concrete patios or walkways. Concrete can raise pH levels, and gardenias need a soil pH between 5 and 6. Amend the soil with lots of compost and peat moss to ensure good drainage, and use organic mulch around planted gardenias to maintain optimal soil moisture. 

Ummm. I do not have anything growing in the back of my house up near the brick. There tends to be quite a bit of moisture, evident by the mold on the brick and the gurgling I hear inside the garage after a heavy rain. I need something to absorb the moisture. My only thought was plants, mulch and hope they grow. I am not a gardener, that I know.



Past the fence and where the lawn timbers are is the plan. The photo I have of the gardenia plants is too blurry. I also just discovered that when I did a Recovery on my computer, I have lost all my photos. I am trying to remain calm, cool and collected here. I had copied some to CD. I will keep all this in perspective and remember the people in the photos are still alive and I am thankful. I may now end this post and go smack myself upside the head over and over. No, I am going to go to the garage, smoke, take another photo of the plants and recuperate. I'll be back in a jiff...




It's actually beautiful outside and I should be finishing their new home. I have a love of wood and that piece is from when David and Ryan had such a blast cutting up the pine tree that fell across the creek. I'm hoping the gardenias cover up that ugly necessary equipment to run the house. You can even see the moss on the brick. No wonder my sinuses are complaining. 




Are you 4 gals ready? 

P.S. First comment saying I need to back up photo files gets deleted!

3 comments:

claudia said...

Wow! You are making me ashamed of myself. I want to have energy like you. I want to plant things like you.Eh...one of these days.You go girl!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

you go girl!!!!!!!!!!!

SandyCarlson said...

Good luck with those flowers!I am not in NC but wishing I were! Would give my right arm to be in NC right now!