Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

No Visitors Under 18 Allowed...

Our local hospitals are starting a new policy tomorrow, October 1st.

NO VISITORS UNDER 18 ALLOWED.

The only exceptions are the Emergency Room and if you are visiting a dying relative.

My first thought was of enforcement and the hell it's going to bring on Public Safety....David. I talked to him last night and it sounds like it's going to be statewide. He's working at a smaller 50 bed hospital now, but had he been still working up here...1000 bed....it would have been worse.

Most of the hospitals in our state have gone to non-smoking campuses. I don't agree, and we have people smoking on the side of the road because of it, but regardless, the Public Safety officers are having to enforce the policy. There's not enough of them to maintain hospital security and the smoking. Which would you prefer as a patient or visitor? Your safety or a person smoking behind a tree 200 yards away? They have to respond to every call, and there are many. The first time there is a stolen baby or a fire alarm or a loon in the Emergency Room and an officer is not available because he is patrolling for hiding smokers...you can imagine.

Sorry, I got off on the beaten path here. Now, add the fact that they are going to have to deal with hundreds of angry people who can't take their kids into the hospital? I remember a time when I was young. You couldn't even go there unless you were over 12. Period. They also have Junior Volunteers. Are they suppose to quit?

Yes, this is due to H1N1 and I agree with it and think it's a good policy. I just hope all the health care workers will aid their local hospital's Public Safety in enforcing this policy.


One more thing. New York State is making it mandatory for flu shots...on the news. Protesters are angry. Our local NC hospitals, on their own, are making it mandatory also. Shots or job? You have a choice. David's been told.

Is it a pandemic? Who knows? Is it better to have your rights protected or have someone die under your care? May we should just err on the side of safety...

What do you think?

10 comments:

Putz said...

what about those poeople (me) who think, honestly that if they take the shot they are going to get the flu...i have only had in once, two weeks after i got the flu shot,,,,mandatory, sure if they can find me, i will be home with my head under a pillow, and any one coming on my peremisses will be shot

Putz said...

p,s, is clemmons north carolina near ashboro n.c.???

SOUL: said...

hmmmm. what do i think about what?i don't like non-smoking campus's. :Pi don't like the under 18 thing either. it's not fair. not if you think that there are parents , grandparents, or siblings in the hospital that may be there for days or weeks, that just may 'need' to see their under 18 loved one..child/sibling/ etc for a while during their stay. give them a SARS mask.. but don't lock 'em out of the bulding.and flu shots? not sure about that one either. they do make some people sick. and most people can't afford to miss work for two weeks.so yeh. i guess i'm more on the 'leave me alone' side of things."you're not the boss of me"bwa hahahahahahappy humpday!

claudia said...

I remember not going to see my dad when he had surgery when I was a kid. I was under 12. That was fine with me, and my dad. But I think if I was older it may have been nice to visit him for the week or so he was in there. What if the patient is under 18 and their world revolves around the younger set? It is easier to recover if you are a happy patient! The smoking thing...whatever, but I don't think it should be a priority for the campus security people. Our campuses want us smokers thirty feet fromt he entrances, but I am sure that will change soon enough. God forbid any of my "people" go into the hospital from now on!As for the flu shots...can't make me have 'em...I am allergic to eggs and the shots are based in egg. I get sick regardless of the flu medication. I got this flu way back when it first came out, or at least that is what me and OD figured. I haven't been that sick since, geez, only God knows when. I think (hope) I am done with all that now!Luv Ya Friend!

Mental P Mama said...

I cannot believe that in North Carolina, smoking would be outlawed anywhere. Hello tobacco capital of the world? And...the shot thing is just wrong. I do get a flu shot every year. The one year I didn't get one, I got the flu. Aren't we supposed to be free in this country? Gah. I am a cranky old woman this morning.

Sally said...

Our local hospital has "under 12" not allowed for visiing, and yes it also is smoke free. I once saw a security person tell someone sitting in their car they couldn't smoke even in their vehicle.I'm not sure how I feel about any of it, but I do plan to get a flu shot. :)

Attila The Mom said...

Dang, that's a tough one. We live in a rural area with a small school district and just had our first case of H1N1 (a high school student). So far it hasn't seem to have spread.I guess I'd prolly be against manditory vaccinations here, but I can see how others might feel differently if they live in crowded urban areas.Enjoying your blog!

ChickenGal said...

Not sure what NC charges for the Flu shot, but here in Ohio the regular flu shot is $25/30....The only insurance that covers it is Medicare...I'm not old enough for that. Then what is the cost for the Swine flu shot? Don't know yet...Not even available here yet..... Got the Swine flu shot back in '76....wonder if it is still good :).... I am trying to stay away from public places and crowds....and then I get called to jury duty....go figure, wasn't the gut next to me hacking a lung out!.....So, I use my wipes, clean the shopping cart, go at night when it is less crowded, staying away from church, movies, restaurants....even passed up a small family gathering for a BDay, because there were too many peole together in a small place! Ok I'm getting germ a phobic!!!

Flash Stitcher said...

No way for the flu shot for me. @ 51 I have never had the shot and I don't think I have had the flu. Bad colds yes. I stringly requested NSLO, my DD get teh flu shot @ college but she is not sure she wants the Piggy flu nasal mist. SHe suffers from major sinus infections and is very concerned. I told her it was her choice. Not to sure how I feel about mandatory for healthcare workers? Demanding things like that are not my thing....On a side, I grew up in W-S and my dad was a tobacco exec. I still defend a persons right to kill themselves and defend the company's right to sell their product and not be sued for someone elses stupidity.

Flea said...

I refuse to get a flu shot. I work in a hospital and it's not mandatory. Of course, if I or anyone in my family is diagnosed with flu, I can't come back to work till I've been cleared by the hospital. Which I wouldn't necessarily mind.Our hospital also has a no smoking policy. EXCEPT for our patients, the eating disorder unit. They get regular smoke breaks. Weird, huh? Personally, I feel as Flash Stitcher does about smoking and people's rights. But smoking in or near a hospital seems a little ridiculous in the first place. I'm guessing the nurses & techs who take smoke breaks are the ones suffering the most.