WENTWORTH, NC
A judge has sentenced a 60-year-old North Carolina woman to three years of probation for passing a stopped school bus and striking a 16-year-old boy, killing him.
The News & Record of Greensboro reported Judy Stilwell pleaded guilty Tuesday in Rockingham County. Her six- to eight-month jail sentence was suspended as long as she completes probation. Her driver's license was suspended for a year and she was ordered to pay a $1,000 fine.
Prosecutors say Stilwell had a clean record in January before passing the school bus which had its lights on and stop sign out on state Highway 770. She struck Nicholas Adkins as he crossed the street.
Stilwell cried in court and her attorney called the incident a lapse in attention.
11 comments:
What the hell indeed!
His life wasn't worth much according to the court, was it?
Unbelievable.
my thoughts go to both.....................................
How the hell could she have a lapse of attention? Lights flashing, stop sign out? Geez-us! She's is driving a gosh derned ton of metal, how could she let her attention lapse?!?My prayers go to that child's family...they must be so devastated! The woman should be made to do something more appropriate for the crime. And yes, it is a crime!
lapse in attention?? In Colorado we call this vehicular homicide at the very least.And they she would have a few charges attached to that, aggravated assault, inattentive and careless driving, passing a stopped school bus, I am sure I could come up with one or two more.....
That makes me so sad and also very angry. It's kinda hard to miss a school bus.
You don't EVEN want to know what I think after losing my grandson to a preventable accident.My heart and prayers go out to that young mans family. So sad.
That is so tragic. I had more to say, but decided I had better just keep it to myself. I feel so bad for both parties. That is why it is called an accident, not an "on purpose"!
Un-freaking-believable!
i live in a lapse of attention! does that mean i get to do anything with no consequences?hmmm...i'll get my list goin right now!:))
Post a Comment