Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

He's David's Age....

Every Monday for 3 months, I have given this man commissary and he has been a complete gentleman. We have even joked around at times. I had no idea what he had done, but knew it was serious because of where he was located in the jail. If he gets the death penalty, he will not be brought back. They take them straight to prison. I've never personally known anyone possibly heading to death row and it does make me sad.
Jury finds man guilty of all counts in death of cab driver
Death penalty is possible as sentencing hearing set to open



By Dan Galindo Journal Reporter
Published: November 18, 2008

Jurors will begin hearing evidence today about whether James Ray Little III should be put to death for robbing and fatally shooting a cab driver in 2006.
Little, 22, was found guilty yesterday of first-degree murder, robbery with a dangerous weapon and possession of a firearm by a felon.
Jurors in Forsyth Superior Court deliberated for about an hour before finding him guilty on all counts in the death of Bira Gueye, 47.

Gueye was robbed and shot twice on Patrick Street in northeastern Winston-Salem on Oct. 5, 2006. Little confessed to police and said he fired the first shot after Gueye reached for Little's gun and then fired the second shot because he thought Gueye had a weapon and was reaching for it.

Two witnesses to the shooting said they never saw Gueye struggle with Little.
"Mr. Gueye wasn't doing anything, other than trying to make a living, hustling for his family," prosecutor Jim O'Neill said.
Jurors found Little guilty of murder by two versions of the felony murder rule, agreeing with prosecutors that Little was robbing Gueye and also that Little had fired into the cab Gueye drove for Willard Cab Co.

As he was being led away, Little got into a brief fight with a courtroom deputy. Little had called out to his family "Love you all," then deputy John Holmes steered Little toward the holding area behind the courtroom. Holmes said that Little turned around and said, "Don't touch me."

Little appeared to throw a weak punch at Holmes, who responded by using his baton to push Little into a wall. Two other deputies rushed in behind them and wrestled Little into the holding area.

Prosecutors had twice asked Judge Stuart Albright to make Little wear leg irons, arguing that he was dangerous and had such discipline problems at the Forsyth County Jail that jailers put him in isolation 23 hours a day.

Albright had left the courtroom and was in a hallway next to the holding area when the struggle happened. He ordered that Little wear leg irons when he returns to court today.

"I couldn't see it," Albright said, "but it sounded like they were going to come through the wall."

Little was not charged with assault in the incident.

Testimony in the sentencing part of his trial is expected to take at least two days.

6 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Wow. This world can be so sad.

Brenda said...

There just seems to be so many more of our youth turning to violence than ever before. It IS sad.

TSannie said...

I don't believe I'd have the stamina and fortitude to do what you do. I am truly in awe of you. Keep yourself "safe" and I don't mean that in just your physical well-being. Stressful seems to be a small word...Blessings, Debbie!

claudia said...

That is scary. I would be quaking in my boots to know that I had been in the same building let alone conversations with this guy. But I am not there where you are. My imagination has probably got everything out of proportion. Just be careful...PLEASE?

Lisa said...

Doesn't that just break your heart. And all the poor kid needed was someone to care about him, to lay down the rules and enforce them...maybe, or maybe he was just a rebel. Who knows. But you do know that there is someone out there who has a broken heart because of the choices he has made. And there is a family out there that is missing a man who once worked hard to provide for them. Life is cruel!

Tonjia said...

I know I couldnt do your job Debbie. I couldnt have sympathy for these guys. They are criminals, he has taken an innocent persons life. For that I think he needs to pay.He is lucky that he has you passing his goodies and not me...