Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Monday, September 15, 2008

Do You Have Commissary for Jessup?



When I went in this afternoon to finish up on 8 North, the guard asked "Do you have commissary for Jessup?" I checked my list and told her I did. She said "He can't have it. He just got life." The other guard had just came back from the court house and all I could hear was "he had tears in his eyes." They were beginning the process of going in and cleaning out his cell. I have no idea where he was or is, but others at least stay in their cell until they are transferred to prison.

I have no mental image of him. I hand out to so many. I knew their trial was this week (there's more here) and I had the name memorized so I could look him in the eye when I did see him. I've always been intrigued as to why people do what they do. Profiling shows like Criminal Minds are a must watch for me. I had just looked up two guys on 8 South to "study" them. Gosh, actions can be SO deceiving. Spease had been drugged for the last month whenever I saw him. He moved very slow and had a hard time signing his name. Today he was more up beat and smiling. I asked him if he was feeling better and he said yes. He's in for double homicide. Geez.

Jessup made the news today.

Jurors took forty minutes this morning to find two men guilty of killing Kim Tuttle in Tuttle's Kernersville home in 2005.
Dwight Clodfelter, 20, and Kevin Jessup, 40, were sentenced to life in prison by Judge Todd Burke in Forsyth Superior Court this afternoon.
Jurors found both guilty of all counts — first-degree murder, armed robbery and two counts of larceny of a firearm.
Wendi Johnson, Tuttle's wife, clasped her hands tightly as she waited for the verdict. The Tuttle family hugged detectives and prosecutors afterward."We're very satisfied with the outcome and we're glad that the court system could bring justice," said Brandon Baughman, Johnson's son.Attorneys for the two men gave notice that they would appeal their convictions.Clodfelter's mother, Angela, held her head in her hands and sobbed as she waited for Burke to announce the verdict. She was too upset to speak to a reporter after the verdict.Jessup's family declined comment.Clodfelter and Jessup, along with a third man, Marcus Bowen Jr., 27, broke into Tuttle's house in the middle of the day on Sept. 27, 2005, robbing, beating and shooting him inside a basement room.Prosecutors alleged that Clodfelter was the shooter and that Jessup kicked down the locked door to the room and held Tuttle down. Tuttle was inside the room, in which he kept about 40 guns in a safe and fired once at his attackers and missed. Tuttle was shot once in the head.In a statement to Kernersville police and a State Bureau of Investigation agent, Clodfelter had admitted he grabbed one of Tuttle's guns and shot him. Testimony showed that the three robbers had meant to break into a house next door with the same layout as Tuttle's home. Clodfelter knew Tuttle's neighbor had guns and the men planned to steal them, then sell them to pay off a debt.Bowen testified against Clodfelter and Jessup. He is expected to plead guilty at a later hearing.


Of course, now I'm on the hunt for Clodfelter. 20 years old...he's going to look like a little kid. I'm sure I've seen him, but now I'll pay special attention. He'll more than likely say "thank you, mam." Maybe even smile back. But will he might also be denied honey buns. Cheese Crunch.

Personally, if I'd just been given a life sentence, I couldn't swallow a bite.

8 comments:

Brenda said...

My son is a correctional officer and he says it's eerie how normal they look, even when you know they sexually abused a child, or murdered someone. He also says most of the crimes would never have happened if they hadn't been involved with drugs and alcohol.

Lisa J said...

Isn't it amazing....I know they all look "normal", that is why I tell kids you can't trust people unless you really really know them. And even then it is not a sure thing. Most kids are molested by a friend of the family OR family member. But you know what? Even they have their own story. I have such a heart for people and I hate that so many make bad decisions. I agree with Brenda, most of it is due to drugs and alcohol. I hate what drugs to people. Keep up the good work.

Kimmy said...

It is hard to tell a person just from the "outside." That is why I just tell my kids not to talk to strangers.Kimmy

Mental P Mama said...

So sad and scary all the same. I swear I live in a little bubble. And I think I will stay there...Be safe.

Tonjia said...

hold onto your honey buns! its amazing what some of these guys are capable of isnt it?

Michelle said...

I agree with all of the above. People you walk by on the street could be in jail i a minute and you would never suspect it. And you are right, they will be so polite to you in there. It always amazes be how some women will meet, fall in love, and marry a man who is in jail for something and she has never even met him.Keep a watch on your heart. If you go soft you could make mistakes. Glad to see you posting ;-)

Putz said...

how is your work done at all, i cannot relate

TSannie said...

You ARE being careful, right? I'm a little scared for you!