Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Jail Jabber...

I'm still alive and they do let me out each day to sleep in my own bed.

My hours have changed to 8:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. although I have yet to work those hours. There seems to be a great deal of pissery going on behind my back because I only work 6 hours a day. Fortunately, I am out of range most of the time and up on the floors, where everyone else in the building is as nice as they can be. The 4 inmates we have working with us are nicer to me than the two, what can I call them? Yes, that's it....whatever you were thinking to call my co-workers. 8:00 a.m. traffic really sucks. I started this today and got there at 7:30 because I was worrying about being late. I'm going to go in the same tomorrow and get some toast in the "beverage, lunch, food place" I don't know what they call it. That way I can start taking my vitamins again and hopefully it will help with this fatigue and not being able to eat right. I didn't eat right before, but I wasn't moving. I was sitting here with you guys and I miss it!


This is not an actual photo, but it's the most similar I could find. I drag, push, pull my fully loaded huge, what looks like a laundry cart, through elevators, hallways and many locked doors and arrive here to spread out their order on the table, which is a bit bigger than these. The doors look like these, but they have a little meal tray slot where I can see and hear inmates calling out a variety of things, the most being "Hey Commissary Lady". Each Deputy is different. Some actually help. It is an extremely controlled environment when I am in there. I have seen nothing to blog about, except maybe chest hair, and they get in trouble for not having their "suit" buttoned up. Not one has gotten out of hand. I have yet to serve on the 2 floors, 6S and 8S where the hardcore female & males are. Those always seem to be left for the afternoon for some reason.

No two days are the same it seems. When I think I've got it together, something changes or "someone" figures out she was wrong, or forgot what she told me. She is a pathetic Supervisor and moves as fast as the speed of a half-dead snail. She OCD's over friggin paperwork to the point of insanity. Everything neat and loves little piles of paper, which I hate. Come on already, we need to MOVE so I can get the hell out of here! I'm just afraid she is going to move TOO slow and they are going to THINK they need a F/T person. Other times, I'll get started and have to stop because of lunch coming, and inspection, or some jail procedure.

The inmates have for the most part been well-behaved. Could be that guard, oh, WITH NO GUN, way over there on the other side of the cell block. Yes, sometimes, they get too far away from me and it doesn't bother me unless there are 10 or more guys out walking around. There is only one other person and they are in the tower and have to come through 2 locked doors to get there? I had one get pissed off over frigging cheeze doodles being out of stock. I mean extremely pissed off. I wanted to tell him this wasn't effing Walmart and to get over it. They tend to give me crap about their order, and I didn't get this, or where'd my money go or why isn't my money being shown. I tried to explain at first, but this took way too long. Just take your SHIT and go! Politely, of course.

I actually like this job though and hope it lasts. I have fun with it for the most part. I'm not the least bit scared, but am cautious when I need to be. Physically, my body is exhausted because I haven't walked or stood this much since I was about 3. I'm alternating shoes cause I heard that somewhere. I'm watching the Olympics and feeling really old. I'm cringing on the diving competition and tucking my head to keep from hitting that platform. I think about posting but my brain is lacking any creativity whatsoever. I started out wearing latex gloves and they slowed me down so much, so I'm thinking of buying stock in Purrell. Even my hands hurt.

It's Wednesday night and I'm not even sure if we are going to the lake. I need to pressure wash the camper and deck. Oh yes, I have a son. Oh, no that's right, he's too busy. I had to mow the yard yesterday. See above. I told him they actually sell food at the grocery store if he gets hungry. Yes, I may have a love affair while working at the jail....and it's with my bed :)

15 comments:

Brenda said...

I'm glad none of the inmates are giving you a hard time. Surely they'll get their stuff together soon so that things will run more smoothly for you. Now go get some rest, ya hear?

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Shouldnt you be able to find 2 sheep in a picture if you are able to work in a prison?Hallie :)

claudia said...

Hopefully this will all work out right. And those who are talking shit behind your back..screw them! They are just jealous! Go to the lake, relax, pressure cleaning will wait. There are Jet skis calling your name!

Carletta said...

There you are 'Commissary Lady' - been wondering about you. I figured it might be the too tired thing.Sounds like it isn't too bad except for the co-workers.Miss you though.I say go to the lake - you need a little breather.Take care and blog when you can - I check everyday.

Mental P Mama said...

I was worried about you...commissary lady. Glad it is going fairly well, and I hope you get to the lake. You need it.

Sally said...

I can't see where your "creativity" is in jeopardy; although I know for the most part it isn't funny, but you just have a way with words that IS funny!!Take care of yourself!!

Lisa J said...

Good to know things are going ok. When the guys argue with you they are just trying to get a rise out of you. They don't know how to treat people and they are just expressing only form of communications....negative. Play the "lady" card. Expect them to treat you like a lady and I bet you will see a big difference in them. Most of them were raised to be nice to "mother" figures. And I bet you could with-hold their items if they argue with you. You have a lot of power there my friend. And go to the LAKE! Summer is almost over, so just go for it!

Tonjia said...

You should take Lisa's advice before taking mine. I would tell them this isn effing Walmart, get over it. LOLOLI would probably get fired. LOLhave fun with the job! but be careful, if you are too good they might want you to take your supervisors job!

asthmagirl said...

I'm glad to hear things are going pretty well. Your job sounds a little intense but interesting.

kim-d said...

Oh Deb, you just never fail to crack me up...even when you're not even tryin'! I just love it...and I also love what Tonjia said...THIS ISN'T EFFIN' WAL-MART, GET OVER IT. Exactly! BWAHAHAHA!Go to the lake this weekend, Commissary Lady; if there was any way I could join you, I sure would.

Ok, Where Was I? said...

I like your new name. Commissary Lady. I'm with Kim-d. Go to the lake. And I'd join in if I could as well.

Putz said...

what an interesting life you have now....it is fun to blog to you since there is never a dull moment...

Just Joni said...

it won't be long until you have them saying Please and Thank you...I'm sure of it. I bet you went to the lake...hope you're having fun!

TSannie said...

Just tell us you're happy...well, ok, the lake makes you happy - just let us know the other stuff does.

Patti said...

Whip them into shape girl.Sounds like a really interesting job.Nice to be here reading your blog again. You always make me laugh!HugsPatti