Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Pancakes...

Six -year-old Brandon decided one Saturday morning to fix his parents pancakes. He found a big bowl and spoon, pulled a chair to the counter, opened the cupboard and pulled out the heavy flour canister, spilling it on the floor. He scooped some of the flour into the bowl with his hands, mixed in most of a cup of milk and added some sugar, leaving a floury trail on the floor which by now had a few tracks left by his kitten.

Brandon was covered with flour and getting frustrated. He wanted this to be something very good for Mom and Dad, but it was getting very bad. He didn't know what to do next, whether to put it all into the oven or on the stove and he didn't know how the stove worked! Suddenly, he saw his kitten licking from the bowl of mix and reached to push her away, knocking the egg carton to the floor. Frantically, he tried to clean up this monumental mess but slipped on the eggs, getting his pajamas white and sticky.

Photo stolen from here:

And just then he saw Dad standing at the door. Big crocodile tears welled up in Brandon 's eyes. All he'd wanted to do was something good, but he'd made a terrible mess. He was sure a scolding was coming, maybe even a spanking. But his father just watched him. Then, walking through the mess, he picked up his crying son, hugged him and loved him, getting his own pajamas white and sticky in the process!

That's how God deals with us. We try to do something good in life, but it turns into a mess. Our marriage gets all sticky or we insult a friend, or we can't stand our job, or our health goes sour. Sometimes we just stand there in tears be cause we can't think of anything else to do. That's when God picks us up and loves us and forgives us, even though some of our mess gets all over Him.But just because we might mess up, we can't stop trying to 'make pancakes' for God or for others. Sooner or later we'll get it right, and then they'll be glad we tried...

I received this in an email this morning and thought it was appropriate for any day...

12 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

That is a wonderful story...and a great lesson.

Lisa J said...

I agree, it is a very heart touching lesson. I am glad you shared it. Hallie needs it today too. Bless her heart, nothing like getting kicked when you're down. But I loved this story!I finally have my pictures of Oklahoma posted. After three tries last night and could not get them to post I gave up and went to bed!Are you headed back to the lake? I am headed to Texas...to see my son for just a day or two. Looking forward to that.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Needed this badly today.But can we substitute the pancake analogy for something more ATKINS FRIENDLY? :)Hallie

Donna said...

Just lovely! Excuse me while I go get myself unstickified...

Tonjia said...

awww this is very appropriate for this day.now I want pancakes....

claudia said...

Thank you! Thank you from the bottom of my heart. Go on over to my blog for today and you will see why. You have fantastic timing, girlfriend!

Carletta said...

Lovely Debbie!Yesterday I emailed my friend in Virginia with a link to your post yesterday. I'm going to tell her to check this one out too.She doesn't blog but she would enjoy them both.

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Aaaah, what a sweet story.

Ok, Where Was I? said...

Aawww, what a totally sweet story! I want to scoop him up and hug him.

the teach said...

Debbie, where did the fantastic pancakes come from? And that cutie making the mess? :)

Flea said...

I love the picture which goes with. :) And wonderful story.

Trailboss said...

I really like that story. Things that make you go hummmmmmm.I hopped over here from pioneer woman. You have a nice blog.