Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Monday, May 12, 2008

Real Age Tip....

Can You Walk 10 Years off Your Age?

Forget the plastic surgery. Here's a simple, cheap way to get back your youth: Start walking. People who regularly lace up their walking shoes and get moving may be as much as 10 years younger than their couch-potato peers. Still sitting down? Read on. All About Aerobics Your aerobic power (read your body's ability to take in the maximum amount of oxygen) declines as you age. So, over time, you simply don't have the same energy as you used to. But here's the good news: Research shows that regular aerobic exercise, such as walking, can boost your aerobic fitness so much that it's like being 10 years younger! (Check out all the chronic health conditions that walking can ward off.) Take It to the Next LevelNow that you've got the goal of 10 extra years of good health as your motivation, we've got a few tips and tricks for improving your power walk:

Pick up the pace. The right gait speed can help you live longer.

Take a step back.
Literally.

Count your steps. Not in your head, but
with this handy gizmo.

Mix things up with a beach or trail walk.
Here's why.

Bring a furry friend.
You'll walk more -- and keep Fido fit, too!

How far do you have to walk to burn off that brownie? Use this online tool to find out.
Who am I kidding? Someone please hold me accountable! Ask me at the end of the week if I've managed to do ANY FRIGGIN thing this week towards exercise!!!

9 comments:

kimmy said...

I try to get out an walk when I can too...spring and summer in Maine are way too short to not get out there and enjoy it!Have a good one!

Lisa J said...

I walk to the kitchen to get somethihg to eat, I will just have to walk there more often to get all them steps in. It is beautiful here, Scott went fishing with dad, so I plan on doing something. Not sure what, maybe go enroll in junior college for photography.

kim-d said...

I'm with lisa j--I get plenty of walking in between the couch and the fridge; it's hard on the carpet, though. BWAHAHAHA.WTF, Deb? Is this one of those deals where you are getting paid to mention the pedometer and the book? I hope so, because otherwise you've lost your mind! More BWAHA'ing!Now excuse me as I must go label something (whilst sitting on my large arse on the couch).LOVE YA, DEB :) :) :)

Mental P Mama said...

Do you know how long it takes to walk 10,000 steps? I want Dr. Oz to come over and go for a walk with me!

Michelle said...

I was doing so good at the walking. I would come home every night and pack the dogs in their stroller and then walk the mile to the front of the development and back. That would be 2 miles (in case you could not add). But now it is so friggin hot here and the humidity is rising. I guess I could still walk. I just can't take the dogs out in this heat.I will remind you to walk my friend if you remind me to not eat. HAHAI have actually lost 10 pounds since the middle of April and want to lose another 10. I have a wedding in less than 4 weeks. Not sure if I can make that.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I think THINKING about exercise counts.Just sayin'....Hallie

Carletta said...

Wasn't sure exactly what I was going to say and then I saw kim-d's comment and she said it all!Leaving smiling......

Tonjia said...

you got it girlfriend! I wore a pedometer for a while at my last job. and when I realized that I walked from 4-6 miles in ONE shift I almost died! It made me really tired just realizing it! LOLI dont walk as much now, the ER isnt as big. I am having fun with my Wii though, and hiking season is just around the corner... :-)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Jeez, you make me laugh!!I think we need a contingency plan. If you don't see me blog for a long period, send out a search party. If John's got me "busy" for that long, I think I might need help!Hallie :)