Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Not A Damn Cowboy In Sight...

By the end of the day, it wouldn't have mattered any way. Oh gosh was I tired. I had hastily thrown down a Pop Tart about 8 a.m. and by 5 p.m. after only having one Apple Green piece of gum and a water fountain slurp, I passed out for a couple of hours and got up to watch Biggest Loser.

Having spent a ridiculous amount of time in front of this computer for the last few months, I had to start yesterday with a "short walk up the hill" from the parking lot. There was a shuttle, but he said...short. By the time I got to the top, I was ready to say screw it and come home. Got to the door and the guy says "No more volunteers". WTF? Well, having regained my breath, I decided to just see about that. I got in :) signed in and anxiously awaited my assignment.

How I ended up outside doing crowd control is still a blur. Come on people, didn't you learn how to form a single line in Kindergarten? Right off the bat...adults complaining..."she broke in line"! Here's short little me trying to be the 18 wheeler keeping mostly ladies, from trying to merge ahead. I had been told the rules: no yelling, no running, stay calm, no bottles of any kind and open your purses for inspection.



Well, I'm not at all stupid. I was gauging how many had gone in and how big the gym was and I could feel the group getting wider and wider. About that time, I told the cop, I need to get in...I have pee. Did I go back outside? Well, hell no.

Started calmly, and see those people way out there? Yep, in line. When I made my instant decision, the steps were packed, and I had taken this one earlier. I KNEW what was around that corner!!


Back a bit. After assignments, we had to go stand outside another entrance while Security did their sweep. One hour. Have I mentioned I haven't sat down, yet? This guy was a volunteer and a hoot. I told him I would blog that Jack Nicholson showed up.


"Jack" is a 31 year Army Veteran, who was met shortly by his much younger wife. Zooming on...After visiting the potty, I managed to "look" like I was continuing to help, while very obviously wandering around taking pictures.

Do you even wonder why I took this...


Ms. Obama gave an outstanding speech to an extremely motivated crowd!


But it turns out I was much more interested in the Secret Service! By this time I actually had a seat to place my tired butt on. I was immediately energized when the SS guy on the right motioned for ME to come over! Seems there was a "person of interest" in the crowd and he wanted to know if this guy was a volunteer? I said yes, but let me (frantically search for a seasoned volunteer while thinking oh shit, oh shit) verify that for you sir. The guy had just signed up this morning and I relayed this to him. Well, of course, I spent the rest of the speech watching the "person of interest" and what SS was doing!

Afterwards, I held a clipboard and asked at least 100 people if they were registered to vote, of which, EVERYONE said yes. Well, duh....why else were they there? I also had an informative conversation with a local cop (gathering info for son who knows all this already) and pleaded exhaustion to head volunteer, walked DOWN that big hill and got my butt home, fed, computerized and rested.

Screw Anti-Procrastination Day...my damn feet are killing me...attic can wait!

5 comments:

kimmy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog today. I love summers in Maine...my daughter was scarred by fireworks too. She stills plugs her ears every fourth of July!Have a great day!Kimmy

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You are making CHICKEN CORDON PUS IN HONOR OF ME!!!STOP IT RIGHT NOW!!!JUST STOP IT!!!Hallie :(

Ok, Where Was I? said...

Wow, so many ambitious people. I'd never wait in a line like that--just see it on tv or youtube. Or skip it. B/c yes, I'm that lazy when it comes to our democratic processes.

Carletta said...

What a wonderful post - thanks for sharing your day. BTW, I love the way you express yourself! Good Read!

kim-d said...

Man, Deb...talk about procrastination--well, not really procrastination--just late--well, not really late...HAHAHAHA! I know that you know EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about. Hello? Any brain left in there? (I asked myself). So, about this cowboy. I do like me some cowboy Wrangler-wrapped butt topped off with a side of chaps. However, since it seems PW is keeping them all at her place and she isn't gonna invite us anytime soon, I'm starting to think of other options. Like a cute bartender, or car parking valet, or pool boy, or...you get the idea. BWAHAHAHAHA! But, Deb, really...no taking up with the Secret Service dudes. Unless you get the chance :). Later, gator.