Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Could It Be Genetic?

Little did I know this picture taken in 1957, would plot the future as it seems to have done. My Dad was in the Air Force to be a pilot, and while stationed in Japan, snapped this photo of me at age 2.

After 4 years, he got out and became a pilot for Piedmont Airlines and was killed in a crash in 1959. Why, at the age of 21, did I see a commercial and decide to "Aim High" and join, is still a mystery to me. Yes, I wanted to see the world and "get the hell out of here"! We were not at war and looking back, at that time, there was no patriotism in me. Not an ounce. Vietnam was still fresh in every one's mind. It was an exciting thing to do and I could travel.

You would think that I, of ALL people, would understand my son's wanting to join at the age of 21 and stand behind him proudly. Why can't I do this?

My Mom could not afford to send me to college and to be honest...I didn't have any desire to go. I graduated high school and was done. I could type and seemed to have an office career ahead. I was working with the City, still living at home (had brief move out attempt but came back) and still partying of course.

My son, on the other hand, has every opportunity available to succeed in the civilian sector. He's much more intelligent than I am, mature way beyond his years, hilarious, many close friends, and parents who love him deeply. I just still cannot see the logic in his decision.

The only thing I can see is that his reasoning seems to be the same as mine was back then. And that, my friends, is what worries the hell out of me.

10 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

God bless you both.

red tin heart said...

Debbie, it is hard to let them go.. My oldest son lives 4 hours away from me. But at times it seems like a million. I wanted to tell you that I have a new site. I will e-mail you today with the link. I had to start it because of privacy issues with family. And I want to feel free to write what I want to. Thinking of you today. xoxo Nita

red tin heart said...

Debbie, I can't find your e-mail address. I may have accidently deleted it because sometimes my mail goes to bulk instead of mail. And I could not access your mail address from your site, it said error. My e-mail address is: indigosea7913@yahoo.com if you would like my new link please e-mail me there. xoxo Nita

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Hang in there Deb. If you need/want to talk, email me..fenwaydog@roadrunner.comHallie

kimmy said...

This must be very hard for you Debbie. Letting go of your children can be so difficult. Mine are still very young, but I know that when the time comes, I too, will struggle.Thinking of you and your son.Kimmy

Just Joni said...

I too am preparing for an empty nest...BOTH of my kids (18 & 21) will be leaving in the Fall...somedays I try not to think about it too much, but I know it's time for them to start their own lives and they know I will always be here if they need me...as a parent, it's scary watching them try their wings, so I understand where you are coming from...they're always in a hurry to be independent and see the world...I really can't say that I blame them...it will certainly be a major adjustment for us Debbie, but just think, we have email and cell phones now, whereas when we were their age, our parent(s)didn't...that's a little reassuring for me.

kim-d said...

I'm having a hard time getting past the two-year-old cuteness of your little self to say something supportive, but I'll try.Deb, you know that EVERYBODY has to live their life their own way and for their own reasons. Especially our sons, it seems. That is just the way it is. I cannot imagine what it is like for you, Hallisicle, and all of the other Moms that have sons/daughters serving our country. All I know is that, right, wrong or indifferent, everyone has to do it their own way. And you have so darn much to be proud of with your son. Scared shitless, yes--but equally proud. Right?Okay. I don't have a clue what I'm talking about, so ignore me :).

lettuce said...

i still find myself thinking, at key stages in my daughter's life (aged 13) that it must get easier from now - but i KNOW thats not true.possibly it never does?i can't imagine what you must be thinking and going through...

Treasure Barn said...

What a cute picture of you!Bless both you and your son.This was a good post!HugsPatti

MamaMo said...

Hey - we have something other than NC in common! I was a military brat (Army, though), and I did a stint in the Air Force, and I've lived in Alabama (was born there actually), and, of course, the whole attic thing.