Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Saturday, April 12, 2008

Camping

In the 80's we tent camped or if the weather was bad, we climbed into the back of the van. We were camping in Texas and California. When we went to Germany, we bought a Westphalia Vanagon.
I could go find a pic and scan but too lazy. This is the color.

And below is how the top pops up.



The only time I ever slept up top, was our last night at Camp Darby, an Army Recreation area in Italy. We camped all over Germany and Holland. On the way to Italy, we had stops in Switzerland and Austria. Was a perfect way to travel. We actually bought a "porch" that hooked on the side (tent like) with no floor, to get out of the weather.


We continued camping this way in Maine until we got a little older and had David. It still worked well. I put a play-pen type bed in the front (seats turned inward) and he slept there. The weather in Maine was nippy even in the summer. We finally, after MUCH thought, bought a small motorhome. Absolutely loved it. When we left there, to be stationed in Alabama, we towed our little Subaru Justy behind it, camping all the way to Alabama! We found a great campground about an hour away from base at Lake Martin, stored the camper and pulled it out on weekends. We also purchased a boat. I FINALLY at almost 40 managed to ski LOL. Loads of fun in the water! When we retired, we actually lived in this camper for 3-4 weeks until we could get settled at Wrightsville Beach, NC. Once settled, we rarely used the camper :(


Zoom Zoom....moved to current home. We found a campground on Lake Norman and parked it on a site there. The only time it really "motored" was the trip to Alabama. Blah Blah Blah.....


Now we want a camping trailer with slide-outs. Always have to have more than we have, right? Favorite trailer of all. Build deck, have fun, yippee! I'm going to skip a lot here LOL


Divorce, sell trailer, sell boat, sell golf cart...the end.


Now....last summer, 7 years later, I made the mistake of going back to same campground to visit my BFF. They have a camper there (well now they have 2). I rode one of their jet ski's and I thought I'd friggin died and gone to heaven! I absolutely love being on the water, flying across the smooth surface with the wind blowing...oh gosh!


As usual.....want more. Bought my own jet ski. Oh...need a place to put it. David, why don't we buy a camper there too? Yes, Mom...let's do it. Okay, will split site rental okay? Fine...done deal.

Oh life is good! But wait...one more purchase!

We are all set! Pool is right across from site, campfire, jet ski all day, yee hah! Then oh shit...

It's very difficult to get the jet ski WAY out there where the water is! Drought. Down at the beginning of the boat launch is a little puddle. Now, at first, we did PUSH the jet skis out wearing boat shoes in the mucky water. Then this. Yes, we could have trailered elsewhere, but good grief. Okay, better luck next year...

No, there is one more part to this story:

CAMPER, JET SKI, GOLF CART FOR SALE

Must sell. Son joining Air Force. Cannot afford single partnership. Sucks big time.

12 comments:

Michelle Pendergrass said...

Oh man. I want a Westphalia Vanagon. And everything else.Are you serious, for sale? Bummer. Big time.If I lived down south, I'd split it with you.

Dayna said...

I'm sorry! Huge bummer to have to sell it all!

Carletta said...

Debbie,Debbie,Debbie!I just love your stories and wish we were neighbors and could share all that with you!Hugs!!!

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

Debbie: It sucks being alone. I hate it. I hope your get your stuff sold or find a way you can keep it. I am thinking of you today friend. xoxo Nita

Mental P Mama said...

Damn. Thinking of you...

Lisa J said...

Been there done that. Except were horses!!! Now I am selling or giving them away again. Just can't afford to keep them since I have retired and we did not buy land when we moved. Three acres is not enough for three horses!!! Sure wouldn't have to mow, but no, that's no life for them. And I can't stand seeing horses stalled. They need exercise and room to roam and play and exist. So once again, I too am giving up the things I love. But life is like that huh?

Michelle said...

Debbie, I wanted you to know that I responded to your tag last week but just found my post in my drafts folder. I am so blogger stupid! Anyway, I did respond but I did not tag anyone else. Hope you have a good day.

Michelle said...

OK, how did you do that? You knew about my cleaning all day before I posted the entry. See, I am so bogging stupid. Did you see me mention about Shay and K being pen pals now? Sweet!

Anna said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and I am so glad that you are enjoying some of the Project Yellow posts. It has been a lot of fun for me as well.Dont be a stranger! :)

foolery said...

Hey Miss Debbie,So bummed to hear you have to sell the toys. Can you at least get one more fun-fun-fun weekend out of them? Well, out of the trailer and the golf cart, anyway?Cheers to you,-- Laurie @ Foolery

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Just wanted you to know that I'm alive. Skipped blogging yesterday cuz I was way too caught up in cleaning. John's surgery is getting closer and I need to degerm this place!Hallie

Lake Martin Voice said...

Where did you camp on Lake Martin? At Wind Creek? It's a nice one.John Cwww.lakemartinvoice.com