Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Road Trip To Pope Air Force Base


Yesterday I got a wild hair somewhere and asked my son if he'd like to ride down to Pope AFB and check it out. He said "Can we get in?" He's still learning about this military stuff. "Yes, because I have a retired military ID card". He still seems skeptical because for some reason he doesn't believe anything "Mom" says. I told him he should take his DEP paperwork with him just for proof of why we are there. He's still giving me that look...


I haven't been to Pope since 1982 and I was only there to depart plane, sleep, eat and then rent a car. My ex and I took were stationed in Germany and took a military hop from Ramstein to Mildenhall to McGuire to Pope in order to get home for a visit. It had been an extremely long 2 days so I don't remember much of Pope. I know it's sort of part of Ft. Bragg.


Our plan, my plan, is to try and tour the flightline because he is waiting on job reservation for Air Transport. He is colorblind so that severely limits his choices for jobs. (More on that topic later) I hope he'll be able to talk to other Airmen in this capacity, see the planes up close and hear how extremely loud it is. Just get a feel for what his day would be like.


Since I haven't visited an AFB in about 15 years, I would like to check out the Commissary and just see if they can beat Food Lion's prices. I think we are going to have to go to Ft. Bragg to do this because Pope is very small and I believe they use the facilities there. Now, I am just a tad nervous...Ft. Bragg is huge...and I can hear it already "Mom, do you know where you are going?" "We look lost!" The boy has no confidence in me. (Hell no, I don't know where I'm going). This is an adventure for us to share...LET'S NOT ARGUE!


So, in about 2 hours we are departing for a 2 hour drive. I have a print out from MapQuest and an ID card. What more do we need? Oh, we'll have to discuss who's driving...since he'll still be half asleep, I'll take the "to" and then he can take the "from". And then there's gas..UGH!


Unfortunately, the above pic was taken over the NC Outer Banks, not at Pope. Yes, I would rather be going to the beach! I'm just hoping we can see one of the C-130's or KC-135's up close for the boy...wish us luck!


5 comments:

Laura said...

My little flyboy (9) is color blind too...and dreams of being a pilot. :( It is so funny because your son questioning "Mom" is so very much like my own son.

Michelle said...

So, did you get to see any planes? Talk to any airmen? Take any pcitures? Come on, tell us the deal.

Tonjia said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! Wahoo!! So, how did the trip to Pope go? I am anxious to hear all about it.Debbie, the blog is GREAT! I love it!

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog!!! You are doing such a good job!Talk about whatever floats your boat. And if you need any help, just ask. I can teach you how to link and will happily help you with anything else!fenwaydog@roadrunner.comHallie :)

Kitty said...

Keep up the good work.