Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Here We Go Again...

Well howdy ya'll...

I had planned on posting all about our trip to Pope AFB, but got a little side-tracked. While David was sitting in the cockpit buddying up to the pilots of this plane




C-5 Galaxy and hanging out with a great SSgt telling him everything and more about Air Transportation career field....his recruiter called and left a voice mail.

Up until now, David has been in the DEP (Delayed Enlistment Program) awaiting guaranteed job placement and a BMT date for training. Nothing signed in blood yet.

After this wonderful all afternoon tour on a beautiful day...we went out the back gate from Pope and were IMMEDIATELY on Ft. Bragg. Of course David said "Shit Mom, we're going to get lost. Chris told me we would get lost if we went". "Well I have to pee" said Mom. Seems Mom always has to pee. Could be coffee has something to do with it. Now this base is huge. 50,000 people. I just wanted to go to the PX/Commissary. We get there. I say "Do you want to go in?" He says "Not really". I want to call recruiter back" . Turning around and saying goodbye to my no shopping adventure and trying to drive with legs crossed, we head back to main road and look for lunch and pee place.

Ahhhh, there's an Arby's. Yes, that's fine, David. I fly out of car and go in while he is calling recruiter back. 25 minutes later he comes in (after I've gone back out 3 times to check to see where the hell he is) Oh...it's 3:00 by now? He's on his way back in grinning.

We get food and sit and then he springs it on me. He has guaranteed job and a BMT date of July 15th and he looks at me and is clearly waiting for my reaction. This is normal, considering I've been alternating with crying, praying, begging and then more crying for the past 5 or 6 months for him NOT to do this.

I've been into the Oprah thing of "A New Earth" trying to be "IN THE PRESENT". And in my head I'm already thinking (I have 4 more months to change his mind) "July in Texas?" "Oh crap". Then Eckhart kicks in and I say "I'm about to starve" and I just keep looking down and looking up. Chewing the sandwich and wondering if it will stay where it's going. And I actually smile some while he's talking. It was one of those smiles that if it could really convey my thinking....well you know those.

I'm going to do my normal and change the subject when it comes to this Air Force thing but one more picture. This is the C-17 and it is a relatively new in the aircraft arsenal.

Yes, I could have waited until he was on his way out of the plane to take picture, but I was doing a covert picture taking operation. I don't think random clicking is allowed on the flight line. I was hiding in car by this time to avoid being arrested by the Security Police for taking pics to send to terrorists who may not have access to the Internet.

Okay...all the way back home it was a tad bit quieter than before SSgt Recruiter called. I tried to nap and he turned up music and drove. Today is another sunny day and I of course am beginning a new strategy....I still have 4 months till he raises his hand and takes "the Oath".

Also, Mississippi votes today and since I have to support someone, although this may change, I am currently an Obama supporter. Although it's not politically correct...who do you support?

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, 4 months to go before he leaves. I think that would have been hell to wait that long. I think Shay waited 2 1/2 months and that time just flew by. She quit working at the beginning of April so we had lots of time to spend together before she left in May 2007.Who do I support? Hmmmmm I support John McCain. The last time we had a dem in the white house the military budget got slashed. At this time in our lives we do not need the budget to be reduced.Great blogging so far. I will add a link to you blog in my favorites.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

July huh? That will fly by...at least it did when CJ's time was drawing near. He left 8/13/07 and it was freaking hot, hot, hot in Texas. When we went in September for his graduation, it was so hot they had to cancel part of the ceremony.I don't know who I support anymore. It changes everyday.Hallie :)

Pioneering in PA said...

Saw your URL on my sitemeter, and could't figure out who the heck it was!Then, I realized.. you left me a comment the other day and I was in such a hurry that I never clicked to drop by and leave a thank you!So, thanks.. and enjoy blogging!

Lea said...

Good going so far! You're linked to me now too.V took her ASVABs on August 28 '07 but back then we thought she'd be taking a class or two so she put 1-08 on her DEP papers. For a bunch of reasons she didn't go to school but had a good full time job which she left (that was hard) 2 weeks before she shipped (2-12-08).Just keep remembering: This is HIS dream, not YOUR nightmare.

red tin heart said...

Debbie, I am so happy I have a place to visit you! I love your play list. Especially Photographs and Memories. Thank you for your visits to my site. love nita

Alan said...

Debbie, Besides a love of lighthouses, I see we have the air force experience as well. I didn't retire from it but I did serve 4 years during the Vietnam War as a mechanic.