Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Ahhh! Fresh Cut Grass...yeah, right!

"Hey Mom! Look at the yard and it's got a creek!" my then 8 year old son exclaimed.

Thirteen years ago, hubby, son and I bought this house. Hubby got out and push mowed the entire yard the first year. He always needed help in bagging the grass and wanted glasses of ice water. Of course, I was always busy doing something else inside. No problem. The next year, we had to have riding lawn mower. Well, 7 years ago when we divorced, I got the mower. A few times I was able to hire someone to mow it and if I worked full-time, as my son reminded me yesterday, I could continue that. We were having a discussion about changing the oil in said mower. I know, at my age, I should know how to do this! It seems like yesterday that I said goodbye to my mower for the season. I keep it in the shed in the winter. The reason it is not in shed in summer is because the ramp going up into the shed scares the crap out of me. I have to gun it to get up in there and then slam on breaks to keep from hitting the wall in front of me. I pull the mower in the garage with ease :)

Everyone around me is mowing their yard. No, I could care less. But, the green onions are getting toddler size and the grass is not yet up to speed. There are supposed to be certain days you mow, according to the Almanac, so the onions stay gone. I can't seem to master that. I also have to suck it up and get the mower out and it might be today. Of course, then I have to pay $3.25 a gallon for gas to fill er up! Let's assume he/she is ready to go...

This pic is just to show you where there used to be a huge willow tree. I got the creeps mowing around it thinking of snakes. We have seen quite a few. You can see, smack in the middle of it, there is a beautiful straight pin oak tree coming up. It looks rather bare without willow, but I can now see if the snake takes a liking to me even with loud huge mower coming at it with me ready to jump off. Yes, the concrete wall is courtesy of my town to keep the whole street from washing down. A mural has come to mind.

Now pic of willow tree going bye bye and I really hated to do it, but like I said...snakes won out.

I personally think the pin oak is easier to maintain at this point. Later, these trees drop a HUGE amount of leaves, if I live that long. Here's another showing my river birch, of which I have two more to the left not in picture.


I really don't like mowing that other side of the creek because I have to LEAN. I also have to watch out for traffic and keep an eye out for trash the passers by feel the need to toss in "the field". I go down my neighbor's driveway to get to the BACK side of the other part of the creek you saw in earlier post. When I'm riding and the mower feels like it's getting the best of me...I will jump off. This has only happened once. At the top of the WALL, I disembarked and let the mower win.

Well of course I looked around to see if anyone saw this spectacle! Yes, sweaty me stood there looking for a hero and I found one! My neighbor's yard guys (and she has a maid) were there. They got the mower out, made sure it still functioned, wouldn't take any money and I'm sure laughed their ass off as soon as they left!

I can mow only so close to the creek. Usually David will weed eat it for me. I've gotten desperate though and have started spraying weed killer around the entire creek. I don't even do it walking. I ride the mower. Yes, I know, pesticides are not good for the water, but I do try my best not to get it in there. I didn't create this crap. Back when I had the split rail fence all around yard, I weed eated around every post. It looked nicer, but was a pain.

Okay, so you guys know what I do in the Spring and Summer and lately Fall. In the back where all the water ends up, I usually have to mow it twice a week. Let's just say there's not a lot of time left for puttering around a garden. What flowers I do have, manage to get this crabgrass all in them, the kind you pull it and it comes up 5 to 6 feet long.

Can you tell I am really dreading this?

7 comments:

Shirley said...

I understand your pain. I have 13 pine trees that border the south side of my property. These trees are about 40 years old, so they are honkin big trees. With lots of pine cones and dead branches. It takes me two hours to pick up the cones and then another two to mow. I work full time, so that means it takes two days to get it all done.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

MOWING? WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?I know what snow blowing is but not mowing...Hallie

Lisa J said...

We had 15 acres before and had horses so mowing was not such a big deal. This year we have three acres and tons of trees so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Plus there is no level spot on our three acres. Get the weed eater fired up, I feel the mower won't get as much use as the weed eater! Happy cutting!!! And our grass is starting to come on, spring is here!!!!

Just Joni said...

I enjoyed your pictures and the story behind them...gave me a chuckle. I'm glad I don't have a big lawn to mow!

Pioneering in PA said...

Can I ask why on earth you wouldn't want the spring onions in your grass? I LOVE THE WAY THOSE SMELL AFTER YOU MOW!!!I spent some time in Indiana, and dreaded leaving just for that reason alone. I still pine for the smell of onions when I mow my yard.

red tin heart said...

I understand the whole dreading to mow too. I am not looking forward to looking for someone to take John's place in mowing our yard. I can't because of my back. I wish I could, I use to love mowing for some strange reason. I guess maybe because I could just mow and think. I hope you have a good weekend. love nita

brneyedgal967 said...

OMG - I too, feel your pain. First though, the pic of the stuck lawn mower cracked my ass up!!! ROFLMAOThat just soooo looks like something I'd end up with. We just moved to 5 acres. Heavily wooded acres. So there are limbs everywhere. I can't wait to run over one and shoot out a deadly projectile wooden spear and see what I can hit with it. I better lock the kids in the house first.