Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Prototype...for Daryl

This post is for Daryl. Plain and simple. One day I will visit NYC, but until then Daryl shares her amazing photos for all of us to enjoy.

A little bit of history:

The Reynolds Building is a 314ft (96m) skyscraper in Winston-Salem, NC. It was completed in 1929 and has 21 floors. When completed as the headquarters of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company, it was the tallest building in the United States south of Baltimore, Maryland, and it won a national architecture award. The building is well known for being the predecessor and prototype for the much larger Empire State Building that was built in 1931 in New York City.

The building was designed, just as the Empire State Building, for the purpose of corporate offices with retail outlets on the first floor. Shreve & Lamb, the architects, were asked for "an effect of conservatism along with attractiveness, but to avoid flashiness." But regarding the result, a 1997 Winston-Salem Journal article said, "city residents could be forgiven for wondering whether the architects followed the directive" because "Gray-brown marble from Missouri, black marble from Belgium and buff-colored marble from France covered the walls and floor. The ceiling was festooned with gold leaves, and the grill work, elevator doors and door frames were bright, gleaming brass." The stock market crash of 1929 hurt the Reynolds Building's leasing business temporarily, but it was more successful than other similar buildings at leasing offices. Its promotional brochure said that the 14th, 15th, and fourth floors were reserved for doctors and dentists, but this might not have been the case. Most of the offices were occupied by organizations related to the tobacco industry, such as railroads, insurance companies, and attorneys.

On November 23, 2009 the Winston-Salem Journal reported that Reynolds American, Inc. put the building up for sale after cutting jobs and moving many offices into the Plaza Building next door. Forsyth County tax records show the Reynolds Building's value as $12.3 million. The building offers 240,000 square feet (22,000 m2) of office space, much of that Class B.

In 2012, Quaintance-Weaver Restaurants and Hotels, which owned the Proximity and O. Henry hotels in nearby Greensboro, were considering plans to turn the building into a luxury hotel for business travelers.

In April of 2012, Debbie ventured downtown and finally took some photos.




Yes mam. There is more around me than hummingbirds and creeks. These were taken with my iPhone while jumping out of car in traffic and having a really damn fine time of it...grinning from ear to ear. When I was growing up, downtown was the only place to go and I've always enjoyed it.

Yes, Daryl...who knew? Well I did, but now you do too.

22 comments:

Daryl said...

oh I love love love these .. they are awesome ... so cool .. xoxo

joanne said...

great pics Deb! Love the history lesson too..;j

Sally said...

Wow~great pics and history, Debbie. I don't think I've ever told you that I lived in WS for about six weeks back in the 60's. Will tell you that story sometime.

So good to see you here, and I'm really glad you didn't get run over jumping out of the car taking pics. :)

HUGSSSSSS

Carletta said...

Could be a New York skyline! :)
Keep saying I'll get to New York one day too.
I'm with Sally - glad you didn't run over!

My grandbabies are growing up. The girls are five and three. Little Sammy is already 17 months.

claudia said...

Let's hope I can keep it up this time!

Mental P Mama said...

You are so cute! NYC is next! Before I leave;)

Brenda said...

I never knew you were one of them thar city gals. Great pics!

Donna said...

Yes, I'm late!!!Hahaaaa.... Just now seeing this!
Love all the shots and I Demand that you stop playing in traffic....Hahaaaaa
Happy weekend!
Hughugs

foolery said...

I can just see you standing in the middle of the street, one hand out to hold back a taxi, the other hand furiously snapping photos. LOVE IT. And your shots are great!

SandyCarlson said...

You have me smiling wit this one. These are outstanding photos.

Sally said...

And, so I was thinking, is she ever (fill in the blanks)? :)

pchickki said...

Interesting :)

Reddirt Woman said...

Debbie does WS! You must have gone on the weekend to get these great pics without getting run over or your door ripped off your car... lol

Seriously I really enjoyed this post. I hope that someone steps up and buys it and restores it to all it's glory and not tear it down to make a dang parking lot.

Thanks for the history and the photos.

SOUL said...

psst- hi

Sally said...

Dear MsPaxiePanicker:

This is your six month, and final notice:

If you have decided to discontinue blogging permanently, I, I mean WE will honor your wishes and not nag you or send you a final bill although you ARE six months behind!

Otherwise if you intend to blog again, that's fine. Just know that I, I mean WE, will be justifiably happy to see you again.

Sincerely,
President
of Persistence
and
Keeper of The Zoo Crew

:)

SandyCarlson said...

These are really beautiful!

Donna said...

Hahahahaaa....what Sally said...TOOOOO TRUUUUE!!!!
Merry Christmas sweet friend!
hughugs

Gina Gao said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You take wonderful photos with your iphone...me not so much. :)

SOUL said...

hey MB -- wussup?

ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
SOUL said...

Psst, tell me a story ?