Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

I Choose To...


IT'S A CHOICE

One man tells of driving a long and lonely road, the last 65 miles
of it unpaved, in order to watch Hopi Indian ceremonial dances in
the state of Arizona. After the dances, he returned to his car only
to find that it had a flat tire. He put on the spare and drove to
the only service station on the Hopi reservation.

"Do you fix flats?" he inquired of the attendant.

"Yes," came the answer.

"How much do you charge?" he asked.

With a twinkle in his eye, the man replied, "What difference does it
make?"

This is what has been called a "Hobson's choice." A Hobson's choice
is a situation that forces a person to accept whatever is offered or
go without.

According to Barbara Berliner (The Book of Answers), the phrase was
inspired by sixteenth-century entrepreneur Thomas Hobson, who hired
out horses in strict rotation at Cambridge University. There was no
choosing by the customer - it was strictly Hobson's choice.

But most of the time we really do have a choice, and the choice we
make does make a difference. We may not always believe it. We may
feel as if we have no choice, but almost always there is a choice in
the matter. And when we realize that most of what we do we do by
choice, then we are taking control of our own lives.

Someone challenged me to try an experiment that completely changed
my perspective. "For the next seven days," he said, "eliminate the
words 'I have to' from your vocabulary and substitute the words 'I
choose to.' Don't say, 'I have to work late tonight.' Instead, say,
'I choose to work late.' When you choose to do it, you take control
of your life. Instead of saying, 'I have to stay home,' try 'I
choose to stay home.' The way you spend your time is your choice.
You set the priorities. You are responsible. You have control."

In just seven days I was no longer saying "I have to" and I felt
better about my decisions. I learned that there is very little in
this life I actually HAVE to do. You and I decide to do certain
things because we believe that it will be for the best. When we
eliminate "I have to" from our vocabularies, we take control.

Try it for a week (after all, it's your choice) and you see what
happens. I think you'll see it's a change for the better.

-- Steve Goodier

***********************************************************************************************
I'm going to give this a try. I'm constantly working on control issues and trying to focus just on the things which are within my control. As you all know, this is not an easy thing to do. For me, I like to "fix" things, or at least have ideas and solutions. Spending time thinking like this is ridiculous. What's the point? An extremely hard habit to break!!

13 comments:

~Red Tin Heart~ said...

"We do have a choice" powerful! I loved this, and I needed to hear it. Thank you xoxo Nita

Mental P Mama said...

Oh, Deb! What a fabulous post for a Monday! I am on board! Let's keep each other honest!

Sally said...

I chose to come here and see what you were gittin' outta ur head, and so glad I did! Great post, girl! :)

claudia said...

Great post. It really set me to thinking. I choose to give this a try!

TonjiaT said...

Happy Monday Deb! great post! I can hardly wait to see your results

Flea said...

Ooo. I really like this concept. My Hunny came home from a coaching seminar a week ago with another good one, the identification of the one major negative self-talk element in your life. The key being to replace it with something positive that's believable. For instance, mine seems to be I don't deserve ..., or I'm not worth ... Working on finding the believable replacement.Like the I choose, it takes time and practice. This choosing I can do, though. Thank you!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

wonderful reminder to something i have known for ages!!!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! love ya

jojo said...

great idea, great plan. Let me know how it works out, then maybe I'll choose to try it!! hehe.

Rustedgranny said...

Debbie,Found you through a comment you made on Kodger King's blog. Came here to encourage you to get brave and go try (fill in blank). Then I find this inspiring post on "choosing." Looks like your ready to try.

Patti said...

Great post! Give it a try. Let me know how it works out :)Hugs

farmlady said...

I will do this. It makes sense and put "me" in control. Thanks.

Donna said...

I have a friend that has had to be put in an assisted living center...she Needs this!!Thank you for finding it!!!hughugs

Debra Estep said...

Deb, AMAZING post I love it. The choice indeed.LoveDeb