Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Befuddled Over Pie...

Yes, I'm befuddled upset, stressed, pissed about a problem that began about 5 months ago and is increasingly becoming more aggravating. 

The Veteran's Administration notified me that I had not notified them than I was divorced in 2007. I'm thinking, so? What's that got to do with you? It seems that when I retired from the USAF, they gave me a little extra VA compensation for dependents. Really? I was in such a state (mental) I did not remember this. When we were active duty, we were two separate entities. Anyway...I contacted them and gave them date of divorce, blah blah blah. They said they'd send me a repayment plan. WTF?

The "pie" is my retirement pay. I get a whole pie. Back then...your VA disability compensation was/is a percentage of your retirement pay that is not taxable. They take a certain portion of your apple pie and make it peach. The peach is not taxable. The apple portion is. You receive two checks. The whole damn pie was mine to start with. 

In the past few months, I've been wondering just how much "extra" peaches they gave me for my EX and how much I'll have to pay back. I received extra peaches for David until he was 18 and then it stopped. Those peaches turned back into apples and they were taxable income. November 1st, my statement indicated I had more peaches turned into apples from them taking EX off. The whole pie did not change, just the taste. 

This is the point...the amount of the whole pie has never changed. I received no whipped cream. Just the contents of MY pie changed. 

The tricky sucky totally ridiculous part? They are saying I need to repay them to the tune of $2,212.00 damn peaches. Those were my friggin apples to begin with that you made into peaches. If I have to do ANYTHING, it would be to pay income tax on peaches that should have been apples. 

I had to write this out because it's floating around in my head and I needed to make sense of it. I would have actually used a pie chart if my new (much needed) computer had Office.

I just received the letter Thursday about the repayment plan. That plan is: pay all now, or we are going to withhold ALL your peaches starting January 1st. 

Monday? This Little Debbie fruitcake is going to be talking to the VA and letting them know the difference between apples and peaches. Did this make any sense?  I'd rather eat cake.

Happy Halloween! 

11 comments:

Marge said...

Oh no! Nothing worse than having to deal with the VA, especially over pay matters. And the worst of it is their deadline.....now or we'll get you big time! If they owe us, it's okay to drag repayment out over months and years. It sounds to me like they just misclassified a portion of your pay, and if you owe anything it would only be the tax on those misclassified dollars. Good luck and keep us informed!Meanwhile, be blessed!Marge

Mental P Mama said...

Unbelievable. Gah.

claudia said...

After you served this country, they want to give you pits?!? I hope this all gets worked out for you so that you are comfortable. I can't believe that they are allowed to do this.

Sally said...

Oh goodness. I'm sorry - it's always something; I hope you get it straightened out, Debbie.

jojo said...

Oh my...your apples deserve better. Hope you can get it straightened out.

Donna said...

I think they're comparing apples to oranges! What a mess!!Hughugs

SandyCarlson said...

The biggest danger of working for the government is working for the government. Meanwhile, the elected officials who make all this possible gave themselves a nice little increase....

Laura ~Peach~ said...

sounds like lemons and limes to me and it is so wrong ... its your pie no matter how its sliced and they OUR GOVERNMENT SHOULD be ashamed... GAH

Flea said...

I hope you get the right people on the phone and can straighten this out. How ridiculous.

San Diego Momma said...

Hope your apples become peaches!Or your pie is a cake!Or...I'm confused. Where was I?

TSannie said...

That just sucks.