Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Attic Project...

The attic project has begun. Last week, I brought down two boxes and was out of breath. 

How in the world am I going to do this? Regroup. 

This past Thursday night, Tony, my lake camping neighbor, called to see if I was coming up for the weekend. I had thought about going Saturday because of the need to get the jet ski back here for trailer problem fixins, title, etc. Also, the fridge needs to be cleaned out (ketchup & mayo removed) and electricity turned off. I had this bright idea. "Tony? How about you coming here?" Tony is also a handyman in addition to his full time job. 

He agreed and Sunday, he brought the jet ski back and proceeded to be a handy man. He doesn't work for free, but gave me a very good deal. He fixed a few things, but my main goal was to get EVERYTHING down from the attic and into the empty spare, used to be David's room (he's been in all 3) which fortunately is the room with the attic door. I tried to help and he told me to go away. Rest, he said. Ahhhhh. Sigh. 

The result?


Yes, I closed the door and will be perusing the items at my leisure. Memories abound and this will not be an easy decision-making process. David's entire childhood is in there, along with a million other things. Oh my goodness.

15 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Do I spy a Matchbox parking garage back there?????

claudia said...

Oh. My. Goodness. My best wishes to you as you go through all those wonderful treasures.You are good, I have to say.I need to do that with my back yard. Only mine is just purge all the c.r.a.p.Have fun with it!

Lisa said...

Oh please do not just get rid of all the "stuff". That is a lot of years that just came down out of the attic and I am impressed that you are moving forward with cleaning things. Maybe go get some plastic tubs from Wal-mart, pack things in there and then you can stack the boxes on top of each other. Then you can remove what you don't want. I don't even know what is in our attic, Scott puts things up there. Maybe I SHOULD go look!!! Miss you.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

is the blue thing a quilt rack??? huh huh huh If so ... put my name on it too :)

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i would like to inherit one of those bread boxes please... and i do have a growing boy who... COUGH COUGH needs more toys.. GAH ...

jojo said...

you need to have a virtual tag sale!!

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, the doors I have closed on those trips down memory lane. Too many closets, too much Now. Can't do it. I am not brave. Good luck!

TSannie said...

Obviously brilliant minds think alike. That room looks like my entire house. And I'll repeat your most wise words: Cleanse the house, cleanse the soulClutter is something we can control

Debra Estep said...

Debbie,Great progress and kuddos to that wonderful friend who helped ya out !!!! GOOD MAN !!

SandyCarlson said...

Your post reminds me again that I have to get the lead out and take that trip down memory lane and move stuff!

Ness said...

That's my next project but probably won't be done until I put up the Christmas decor after the holidays. But I did get my carpets cleaned and working on my bedroom and kitchen to declutter it. Roger makes that difficult because he is my clutterer. Sigh. Love you.

Donna said...

Oh Wow Debbie! Got our attic done a few years ago when we had insulation blown in there...It was a job but I got it done...laughed and cried over a lot of things but I stayed with the rule...If you haven't used it in a year...throw it. Gave the kids stuff to Them and now have an empty attic. Nice!Have a Great weekend girl!hughugs

Snooty Primadona said...

Oh Yeah! Looks like my house and our many storage units. God help me! Daughter has offered to help me minimize during Thanksgiving (like that's going to happen), but we'll see...Good luck on your mission.

ethelmaepotter! said...

Oh, is that an old wooden ironing board? And what is that curved thing with what looks like lace stretched over it? Under the Bathroom sign?Stopping by to say thanks for visiting me. BTW, if you haven't been to Soul's place in the last few days, she needs all the love she can get.

farmlady said...

OMG! You are brave! I have got to do this in our garage and I dread it. I agree with Donna's "if you haven't used it in a year... throw it out." My friend uses this adage and it really works. I don't know if I can do this. I'm such a collector and it's accumulating. I just don't know where to begin. Maybe a big pile in the living room where I would HAVE to clean it up.You have inspired me to do... something. Thank you.