Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Google It...


Apparently this is a "you're getting older" thing I have yet to adjust/admit to. Remember my Vitamin D deficiency? It was 22.0 and is supposed to be between 32 and 100. The nurse called in 4 little gel pills, one a week and said to come back in 6 weeks, which I did, well one week late.

My PA/Doc said not to be alarmed. He's seen people as low as 2.0 and it happens with AGE. He was pissed the nurse only gave me 4 pills. He wrote a script for A YEAR. I told him I was the cereal queen and he said when you get OLDer you just don't absorb it as well. He said Docs were just recently starting to look into it. Google it and you'll see he's not shittin me. Vitamin D is even thought to help with dementia and Alzheimer's and mental health. If you're older than 45, I'd ask for the test. Well, maybe 50. Seriously.

I've been trying to get out in the sun daily, even though he said the 15 minutes isn't worth crap. I also went back to the tanning bed (don't go there) and he said I could lay there all day long. Won't matter. I need a supplement. 50,000 units. I thought that was large, but Pharmacy said normal dose. Doc took blood when I was there. She called and said I was up to 35 now.

Just thought I'd share with you this new found wisdom. And this swine flu thing? Go check out ER Nurse Tonjia's blog today. Simple advice.

I also asked Doc about my knees cracking and my inability to lose weight. Yep....OLDer and maybe you'd benefit from exercising. Thank goodness I didn't even have to fork out a copay.

9 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

I am a BIG believer in D. Good for you for addressing it! And I am just about fed up with all the swine hysteria. How many people die every day in this country from cigarettes??? Okay. Getting off the soap box.

Brenda said...

Probably more people die daily from driving home after cocktails. Keep taking that vitamin D!

Sally said...

Well, I'm glad you're up to 35. hmmmm, I've never had a test for vitamin D that I know of. I did read this morning that a toddler died from the swine flu, I believe in Texas.

TSannie said...

This growing old is just a pile of crap! But better than the alternative.

Flea said...

Sweet! Thanks for the heads up. I'm going to send my mom over to read this. :)

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Reason #807 why I am moving to a sunnier climate!!Hallie

claudia said...

Well, this is a fine post. Sumpin' 'bout gettin' older? Oh, hell you say? I'm not getting older, no way!Seriously, this is a great post. Never thought about a Vitamin D deficiency! I will ask Monday when I go meet my new doctor, one that I choose! (As opposed to one they "assigned" me, screw that!)And as far as the excercising helping with weight loss...well, yeah, but only if you CAN excercise! I would, but my feet, knees and hips scream at me everyday after work, so all I can basically do when I get home is ice packs and sitting!I'm glad there is a pill for the Vitamin D thing, my family is prone to skin cancer, so we avoid the sun like the plague!Love Ya!

jojo said...

They always blame it on getting older.I had the same problem with D and also had no idea how much it afftected other problems with your health. My level was not detectable...I was shocked. I'm taking the super pills too...

Tonjia said...

I dont even want to know what my Vitamin D level is! I almost bought some "one-a-day over 50" vitamins today! EEEK!I still might buy them. LOLsun is good, tanning beds are good. supplements are good. not losing weight is BAD. I am fighting the menopausal pause myself. gained 10lbs and cant lose an ounce no matter how much I try!then I wonder, why try???