

No, I do not have her yet. These are additional photos from AARF site. Yes, I did go visit with Penny and filled out the paperwork.
When I got there, in the pouring rain, I knelt down and looked at her and she looked straight in my eyes and whimpered the deepest soul touching whimper I've ever heard. Everyone else was looking at puppies. I do not want to do PUPPY. She is approximately 3 years old. AARF found her thin and week running around a small town right beside mine. They searched, but never found her owner. They've had her about 2 months.
She had me at the get go.....until I put her on a leash. She decided my shoulder needed to be relocated while she headed for the gate. Well, Debbie Whisperer was having no part of that. We battled, sat, talked and she never smiled. Never. She loves other people and wags her tail constantly. She sat when I told her to. She let me pet her. She got her face just a little close to mine, but no licking, no cuddling behavior whatsoever. It's like when I exerted dominance she pretty much told me to FO and was looking everywhere but at me.
I spent about an hour with her. Every dog in the place was barking, but Penny. Quiet as a mouse, which is extremely important to me. Can't do yappy.
They told me she wants to run and has to be contained in a 6 foot fence. I do have that. It needs to be reinforced. It's off the back deck and she can run up and down the stairs. We'll have to master that walk though. A harness might be appropriate. I just don't know if she's running to get to her old family and is depressed or she's running from her old family that was mean. She is definitely sad, or it could have been the environment. I need someone to cheer me up, not the other way around.
Any who....AARF Woman is checking my vet references and will call to schedule an IN HOME inspection. Can you believe it? I'm planning on asking her if I could keep Penny for one night to see how she does. I think that's fair. They are checking me....can't I check her?
So, that's the update. Any thoughts from you guys?
17 comments:
I'm here catching up.The pup sure is a cutie. Go ahead, take a chance!
I cannot wait for her to come home! I was checked out like that for Dora, too. Debbie Whisperer. LOL.
a dog won't touch your soul if it isn't meant to be.i say go for it!and have a happy monday!
Hope everything goes perfectly for both of you!
When we adopted Chauncey, we had to fill out a 10 page application, have a home visit AND supply references which they checked. One night won't show you what you have in store anyway. It will take longer so don't worry about not having a trial run. The bottom line? You need to look at this adoption as permanent and not look it as its only temporary. You will both have a huge adjustment but the pay off in the long term is SOOOO worth it.We have had issues from day one with Mr. Chompers but I love him with all my heart. So what if he wants to eat our guests??? :)Hallie
I have to add to Hallie's comment, that one night, that first time in your home is a stressful time for both of you. I am sure you will be worried that she might slip out and be lost, or tear everything up in your house(at least that would be top most on my mind) and she would be wondering where the hell she is and what is going on. -OR- she could just curl up in a little ball next to you and stare longingly into your eyes begging you to never take her back to that other place. You never know!I hope that it all works out for you and Miss Penny. She is an adorable dog and I think you would be the best furbaby mom ever. I really think you need each other!Love Ya!
Ditto on Hallie's comments and I also agree with Claudia. You canot look at this as a trial period because she will know the difference in your mind set. Sometimes it takes having to take care of someone else to be cheered up. Since you do nit have David to take care of I think Penny will fit the bill perfectly. Plus she won't ask to borrow the car. At least not at first. Routine. Dogs NEED routine. Don't try to work too many new things at one time. It will overwhelm her. But do show her as much love as you can. Keep me posted.
Ok, I guess I am different. In the adoption world even with kids, there is a trial basis. You do have to make the committment, but not all dogs are just right for every situation. There is nothing wrong with giving it a try and if you all are NOT a match, she will find a home that will fit her. And you should not feel guilty. There is a dog out there that is YOUR fit. There is no sense in everyone being misreable because you are not a good mix, a good pair, a good bond. It just happens sometimes. You have a big heart, and she will know it. She will feel it, and I bet everything will be just fine. You are doing such a wonderful thing by giving her, or any pound puppy a home. Good for you Debbie, the Dog Whisperer, good for you. I will be watching for you and your upcoming show when Cesar goes on vacation and needs someone to step in for him!!
Does she grab your whole heart? Nancy came to me with issues, too--and she is still, even after all these years, worried she won't get fed again, but she loves me. Cuz she knows I love her, but I wanted her from the first time I saw her. I don't get the impression you're feeling that Penny is YOUR dog--and, if not, then wait until you know it's right. How would you feel if somebody brought you home and then took you back? I know...she's a dog, but still...I don't know, Deb, I just really sorta think if it was right it wouldn't be such a big decision.You asked!
I think she will settle in nicely. Her exuberance to get to the door comes from her need to get out of that shelter.She will learn your routines and enjoy her new "forever home" when she realizes that she is there to stay.With rescue dogs you have to realize that they may come with a little baggage, she may have been disciplined harshly when she barked in another home, so she is not going to risk that with you.Keep in mind though, that there is going to be what we call a "honeymoon period" when you bring any rescued dog home. The dog will try to please you in every way possible because they dont want to be dumped again.Loving her is the best answer. she will come around.as for the references, we have been background checked, home visited, filled out many pages of applications AND had to list personal references before we adopted. And we worked with a rescue! LOLOL its better to be safe than sorry. Hallie is right, look at this as a permanent situation and not a temporary one.
Dang, she's cute!
I say take her. I don't even think a week will be enough to be honest. Some dogs take a lot longer to settle in then others, but from (much) rescue adopting experience they turn out well. :O)
I took an abused Lhasa Apso that was 4. His mistress had died of a heart attack and he was taken in by her family members who didn't want him and therefore abused him. He really had some issues and I nearly gave up on him. It took him a year to trust me and even then I couldn't touch him on some places that normally dogs don't mind you touching...like his feet or his neck. I learned not to do the things that upset him by experience. (and there were quite a few) He was a good dog as far as being housebroken...he absolutely would NEVER potty in the house and that was a good point. Eventually we had a bond. He loved me...I could tell. And I loved him. I had him for over 10 years when he died of a heart attack at age 14. I'm glad I made his last years happy ones. I still miss him even though I have another dog now. So...with patience you can win their love...dogs love us as much as we love them. Just be cautious about young children being too close until you know for sure how the dog will react. Best of luck and bless you.
Yes it is fair but I have a feeling you have fallen in love with each other already.I have 2 dogs and they mean as much to me as my children do. I never wanted a dog until we were blessed with these 2 thanks to someone that dropped the mom off at our place in CA. She died right after we found her and 7 puppies. They are in my heart now and life without them would be empty. I hate the thoughts of not having them around.Best of luck to you and Penny.Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the suggestion of Send in the Clowns for a name for my collage. It is perfect and I will use it.Thanks againPatti
Sometimes it is the reprobates that really get to you. If she has some beagle in her, which she looks like she might, she will always be ready to go and tugging at the lead to get out and smell the world. And they are strong little dogs. But when you get more used to each other maybe you neither one will feel like this is a battle to be won, you'll just enjoy each other's company and I, personally, think we need someone to jerk our chain every now and then...lol...If it doesn't work out, though, and at times it just doesn't despite our good intentions, as Kim-D said don't feel guilty. AARF wants the animals to have a safe and happy home and if momma ain't happy it's not a right situation. They'd rather have the dog back than have an unhappy home.Sorry this is so long... and, yes, in answer to your question, I am an Aquarian.Helen
Sorry, it was Lisa's comment about not not feeling guilty. Instead of mixing up my metaphors I mixed up my commentors...But Kim-D had good comment, too.
So once you get her home, do you think you are going to take her back? I don't think so....you have fallen already and I know you will do everything to make her happy.... Reinforce the fence,( watch for digging to get out, if she is any part Beagle she will be looking for Bunnies) put a harness on her and take her for walks.... and go get Markley & Me and watch it together...I thought I had a bad dog..... good luck with Penny.
Post a Comment