Image stolen from here Oh crap. Now what? Why is the water not too hot for me to stick my hand under? Is it because it's literally freezing outside or? Oh hell, not today! It's Sunday! I have to go to work tomorrow! I walked downstairs and looked in the little closet and lo and behold....water on the floor. Minor water, since I have flooded down there twice, but water.
I just knew when I called AHS (American Home Shield) they would tell me to wait. Nope, she told me to go down and try to turn the valve to stop the water from filling the tank. Nope, can't turn it. She declared it an emergency, yeehah, and said she will find someone to fix it today. Of course, no one has called yet, but it could be this afternoon. I wasn't planning on getting out of my pj's any way. Thank God! (Plus, I've paid them $40 bucks a month for 13 years in case something like this happens.)
I love Monday at work. I visit my hardened criminal murders on 8-South. It's also my easiest delivery day and the officers on that floor are hilarious, fast and the best. Well, actually there are murderers all over, but these are dressed in orange and are dangerous and I just love seeing them so NICE to me. Don't worry, I'm not going over the bend here. I don't enjoy going into the "mental pod" part because the urine smell makes me want to gag.
I noticed some edginess over Thanksgiving and it's increasing with Christmas almost here and Christmas music playing on the morning shows on the TV in the dorm can't be helping any. I'm being extra cautious because it can be a depressing time for anyone, much more so for incarcerated individuals. My empathy barometer is registering towards sadness on my part and I'm trying to keep it in check. They are human, Debbie, but they are criminals. Repeat. Repeat. David keeps telling me not to get attached on the RARE phone calls we have. A psychologist would have fun with this. Empty Nest Syndrome filled with lost little Jail Birds.
I know...I never would have believed I like this job. It's almost like a CHEERS environment. Everyone knows your name and they are always glad you came.
5 comments:
You know, I never thought of it that empty nest way. But it makes total sense, and I would be out finding attorneys to set them all free by now. It's just how I roll. Good luck with the HW heater today.
Sucks on the water heater part! I am just waiting on the day that mine goes out...it's over 15 years old, and we use that sucker A.LOT. (Count 'em; 4 girls, long hair, 4 dogs with baths...hmmm...cross your fingers for me.) I hope the repair people come sooner than later, so you can relax some today!
I hope you have hot water by now. We have AHS too. I had never heard of it until Wes insisted that the sellers provide it on the last house we bought. I used it 3 times the first year. With this house I actually renewed it. I figure if the AC goes out I will need it. I need to contact them about my garbage disposal.
My Dad started working in a prison about 7 months ago and is loving it! He loves giving and getting bs from the guys and it's like he's just re-energized or something, so I am getting what you're saying. I couldn't do it-- my empathy cache is a little too full most of the time anyways.
I am really glad you like your job, that is so important and you needed it. You needed your time to fill with productive feelings, and you have that. Knowing their names is not a bad thing, and knowing why they are there is not a bad thing either. And being nice is not a bad thing too. So see, it is all good and you are right in the middle of it!I am really sorry about the hot water heater. Things like that just upset the apple cart, not the end of the world, but just messes up the plans. Even if the plans were to do NOTHING!I sure do miss you!
Post a Comment