What a day I had! Especially for a gal who rarely leaves the house!
I'm still suffering culture shock. I have no reason to go downtown very much, so it began with the parking. I was not about to get a ticket while starting jail work. Luckily, I had arrived much earlier than I needed to and had time to negotiate this difficult task. That would be riding around in a circle near panic. I wasn't even sure I had quarters. First lot, I hopped out and the meter read 8:00-6:00 metered parking. This confused my brain fog because it was only 7:30. I'm not stupid, just out of practice. Slammed in two quarters and of course, this meter, out of about 50 was out of order. Moving on to different lot, I pulled in to a normal lot and got my ticket, parked and sat doing calming breaths and wondering what the hell I was about to do. Work at the jail? I'm seriously questioning my sanity.
I ended up staying there for around 4 hours. I met one of my co-workers and she seems nice enough. This company is taking over the operation from another and will be kicking it off on Monday, my first day. So, not only will they be training me, they will be working with a new computer system and increasing from 2 inmates helping us to 4....that's 3 of us and 4 of them?
My hours are tentatively 7-12 a.m. If for any reason I have to stay later, I'll be able to leave early on Friday, which is the least busy day of the week. Sounds good to me. I filled out lots of paperwork and was shown around the little area we are in. I did not once get to the actual floor where I'll be delivering stuff to the individuals who have decided to make this their home for awhile. I REALLY wanted to get that part over with so I wouldn't be too nervous on Monday, but no. I guess they feel agonizing over it all weekend would prepare me better.
Speaking of Zipit...which crossed my mind when he said I'd have to bring my personal stuff in a CLEAR little bag...Ziploc? No, more like a cosmetic bag. This is temporary until they get to know you I guess, because P was carrying a bag the size you could hide a small machine gun in.
My main duty will be to deliver...not scan the sheets, not pull the items and bag them. Just an in-your-face experience handing items out, checking them off and moving to next person. Goal is 22 handouts in one hour. No time for chatting? We'll see how this goes on Monday!
No lake this weekend. Rooster has things to do and as of yesterday evening, so do I. I have to wait for the HVAC man to come fix my out of control A/C. It is not responding to TStat. I thought it was unusually cold in here yesterday afternoon and last night about 8:30, I realized it was damn near freezing. I had to cut it off, only to suffer the wrath of my sweet son this morning, who didn't seem to get or understand that running it would make the meter outside run so fast it was blowing the trees! I also need to do a little shopping for my new paid adventure next week.
A few of you know MP breezed into my little hometown yesterday with her twins! What a wonderful experience and I truly enjoyed meeting them, but this post is already too long, so I'm choosing to save this for tomorrow's post :) Now, ya'll come back real soon!
16 comments:
I love that I get to say I have a friend that works in a jail!! It makes me seem all street smart and tough. Of course, if I ever get in a gand fight, you have to come to my rescue...being all jail tough!Hallie :)
That wasn't so bad, was it? Take lots of deep breaths and get plenty of rest over the weekend. I hope they have some decent "guests" in that place! ha
Oh Deb...that jail will never be the same once you get there! I LOVE the "there's 3 of us and 4 of them." Awww, what the heck...those odds aren't THAT bad...BWAHAHAHA!And you got to meet up with Mental P Mama? I LOVE HER, and you too, plus she has really cute kids. I can't wait to hear about it!
I just went over to MP's place, and GOT TO SEE YOU!!! You are just the cutest little Deb I've ever seen :)!!! How fun...I want lunch with you two!
Well there you are on MPM's Blog! I love it when you get to meet another blogger in real life... it's just the best! Thanks for stopping by today. I hope you'll visit when you can. I'll be back to hear more about the jail job!
So glad you are happy with your decision. I think you will do just fine, and it will be nice to work just part time. Still gives you time to play and the extra cash will come in handy!!! I have to start looking too. Either for me or for my husband a part time job. I think I know what he work he can do!!!! Have a great weekend and be ready for some real fun Monday!
You're gonna do great in that new job, I just know it. Hey, I may have a relative or two who are guests in there; if you see them, kick 'em for me would ya? :)Have a great weekend!!
Well, it certainly ought to be an interesting job - I will be waiting to hear how it goes!
You are cheating! Glad to hear things went well. Are you working 7pm to 12am? Or is that 7am to 12pm?Sorry to hear about the AC. I know that is not what you need to deal with right now. I am going over to check out MP to see what you look like ;-)
The first day wasn't so bad! I really think you are going to do just fine come monday morning...and I visited MP's blog to see you and you are just like I imagined...can't wait to see what you ladies post about your meeting...how fun! I love the picture of the older gentleman in the background...his face is wondering what the heck is going on over there...funny stuff!
You are going to be fine at the new job! Suffice it to say, my rugrats were and are quite impressed! We loved Wake, Elon and Duke. Tomorrow--UNC. We are in Chapel Hill tonight. Loved seeing you! So much fun. Come to cocktail corner soon!
I wish you the best of luck in your new job! WE are at the lake right now and now that I am here - I don't EVER want to go back home!Have a good weekend - Kellan
I think this sounds like fun! But consider the source, since I think poking people with needles and putting tubes in body orifices is fun.. LMAOwhat kind of stuff are you handing out? Good luck, I can hardly wait to hear all about it!
Deb...You don't have to steal my raining on my back quote, yuou may use it any time you deem fit. Another I like but is probably out there all over theplaceis "Better to be pissed off than pissed on." Does it sound like I'm around a lot of scuzzy people or what?
Just went over to MP's place, and you are just as cute as I thought you would be. Happy to be able to put a face to all the fun!
Seriously, I am in awe that you are now working at a jail.Um, not to make light of something quite serious, but... can you say BLOG FODDER??
Post a Comment