Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Dear Barack Obama:

http://www.youtube.com/v/BZprtPat1Vk&hl=en

Dear Barack,

We have a little problem here. I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt that you did not mean to imply my grandchildren should learn Spanish because it is has become the second most used language in this country. You're just saying our kids should learn a second language and it need not necessarily be Spanish. Just a second language to broaden their horizons, right? In case they travel to Europe. I may be mistaken here, but having two years of a foreign language is required to graduate high school.

I have recently been looking for employment and have noticed many jobs state bilingual a plus. Now, I'm sure they mean Spanish and this just really pisses me off. I'm not going to learn Spanish. I took it years ago in high school and have forgotten all of it, because there was never an occasion to use it. If, and only if, I decide to visit a country where Spanish is the official language, I will bone up on it some in order to communicate.

It also seems you're having a little problem with the vote on making English our official language. What's up with that? Check the friggin YES box and let's get on with more important things, okay? Just do it!

Millions of immigrants from every country world over have managed to come to the U.S. and learn English because that is what we speak here. I had many Greek neighbors when I was growing up and we all pitched in and helped them learn. Now you want THEIR children to speak Spanish because the illegal and legal immigrants from Mexico won't learn English? Surely not. Have you misspoke here?

Might I suggest you visit the following
website and rethink your position. You see, we in the United States would like to see English become our official language.

Sincerely,

Debbie Blooter

5 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

Gah. I especially like it when I call a utility company, and the first choices of buttons to push are in Spanish. Too bad when my parents were spending a small fortune to educate me that they wasted it on French. Gah.

JFargo said...

Just one note, and that may be wrong:Aside from the federally mandated gym class, States, as opposed to Federal, have power over what is mandatory in schools. Thus, while in your State two years of language may have been mandated, others barely need to learn math to graduate, let alone something silly like another language.I do appreciate that, unlike many, you are taking what Senator Obama said in context, and not blowing it way out of proportion.

Lanny said...

When did gym become federally mandated? I'm not being snarky, I just didn't know it is now. It's certainly not in schools here.My family (as do many in NOLA) has French roots. It was far more important to me to learn French so that I would understand what they were saying (they switched to French after we learned to spell when they were saying something they didn't want us to get when we were younger). I agree 100% with him that we need to learn a foreign language, but I don't think we should have to learn Spanish.

claudia said...

OMG, Debbie, I think I love you! That was the best letter to a politian I have ever read. You ROCK!!!!!

Flea said...

Debbie, you've expressed a common sentiment very well. Bravo! And I think I like the Esperanto idea expressed by Mr. Chapman above. As an option in schools.Like Lanny, I was raised south of NO and learned French. Didn't do me any good with the Cajuns there, but it was fun to learn.