Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Not David...

NOT CJ, NOT SHAY, NOT AVIVAH, NOT BREANNA, NOT AUGIE, NOT JORDAN, NOT JJ, NOT JUSTIN

Not Alex

Please click on the above link and watch this 30 second video before reading, if you haven't already seen it. I tried for 30 minutes to get blogger to let me put in on here with no luck.....

Preparing for Desert Storm, my ex and I were both in the Air Force and stationed at Loring AFB, ME. David was 3 years old. We were due to leave in August of 1990 to go to Alabama, which we did immediately after his 4th birthday at McDonalds. Literally, we got in the motor home and left from the parking lot.

Had we not had orders already, and our household goods already packed, we BOTH could have been deployed and David would have had to go to my Mom's for the duration. I was terrified at the thought of having to leave him. Thankfully, after traveling, visiting family and camping for 30 days, we arrived via NC and FL to Alabama safely. We were both watching TV in our living room when the war began in December 1990 and my sweet baby was asleep right down the hall.

The "Not Alex" video hit me right in the gut. I could not have posted this a few weeks ago with David scheduled to go to basic training July 15th. The above story is another reason, I didn't want him to go. We are STILL there and that was 18 years ago this August. So, yes, Mom of Alex, I get it. The chances of Alex going to Iraq is a damn sad friggin reality. Does it mean she's not patriotic and have support for our military and love her country? No, it means she loves her son and doesn't want him to have a war still going on when he's an adult. What Mom does? Just like I didn't want to go to war in the same country and leave my son here 18 years ago!

I have met some wonderful AF Mom's during David's bout with the Air Force and I hope I have in no way upset you. I am extremely proud of our young men and women who serve our country. Heck, I am one of them also. In wanting us to get out of Iraq, should in no way discredit our military. The military is a good way of life, but after 20 years, I am so thankful David is not going to take me along for another 20.

16 comments:

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Can I add NOT CJ?Hallie

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

I already DID come over here!Hallie

Mental P Mama said...

Not Augie, either.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE your addition. I know what will be, will be, but I like to think it won't happen.Hallie Thanks Deb - I really appreciate remembering that we are all in this together.

Lisa J said...

I agree with you Deb, we don't want any of our "children" to go to war. It is not fair and it is not easy. I know you mean no disprespect to those serving, and I feel your heart pain in your post. I wish there was an easy, realistic answer to all this war stuff. Maybe there is..the beginning of the end!

Michelle said...

Debbie, Although I am unable to open your link at work (damn network nazi's!!) I heard what you are saying. Speaking as a 22 year Army Veteran I am not ashamed that I did not want my daughter to join the Army because I did not want my daughter going over there. Does that mean that I would not have gone over if asked? Nope. I was ready and willing and disappointed that I did not get to serve my time over there. I know that there is a chance that my daughter will serve a tour (or 2) in Iraq. In fact, she wants to volunteer. I take comfort knowing that the Air Force has shorter tours and that the Air Force has fewer casualties. I also support bringing our sons/daughters/husbands/fathers/wives/mothers/sisters/brothers, etc., home. But not at the risk of losing everything that we are fighting for. To me that would mean that every service member who has lost their life would have done so for nothing. I will definatly look at the video tonight when I get home.

Ok, Where Was I? said...

I wouldn't even care if it sounded unpatriotic. Not my boys either. Love the video clip.

Just Joni said...

I can fully understand and appreciate your position Debbie...I was certainly relieved when my son chose not to go into the military, even though I have a high respect for those who do.The Brenda Photo Challenge is an ongoing "traveling" challenge where a person is picked to host the challenge and pick a theme (I picked orange)..it goes from blog to blog and whatever date the current host picks, that's the day everyone who participates posts their pictures on their blogs (mine is June 28)...then within a short time afterward a new host is chosen and so on...glad you are playing, it's FuN! (Hope this answered your question)

Carletta said...

Great post Debbie! The video is short and to the point and very memorable.

Tonjia said...

KUDOS DEBBIE!! Thank you so much for posting this. Have you seen McCains new commercial about how he "hates" war.. ummm okAs you know I am a huge supporter of our military. I will stand up for these brave men and women until the very end. but we have to GET OUT OF IRAQ!!!I want a President and a Congress who will stand up with pride and form an immediate exit strategy...Obama in 08!!!!

BerryBird said...

Debbie, that is a great clip, thanks for linking. I have posted youtube clips before by copying the html from the embed box, but I've certainly experienced my fair share of blogger being turdly, too. I never understood the argument that calling for the end of the war was unpatriotic. Wouldn't the best way to support our troops be to bring them home safe? I am glad to be able to read your thoughts on this as a service person.

Treasure Barn said...

I feel you pain Debbie. What a touching video. I was very lucky to not have any of my three sons involved in war. I wish there was something that I could say that would help you feel better but I know I can't. I am here if you want to talk and I am praying for your David everyday.God Bless You and God Bless David and all the other soldiers. HugsPatti

Putz said...

well you really did kind of answered all my questions, about being loyal to our country and still wanting this lon long war to end......

Donna said...

You know the really Bad part of all of this?? It won't be over till the guys that control the money, Say it's over...That's who runs the countries...Great post Girl!hughugs

imbeingheldhostage said...

AF wife and not offended.Thank you for your insight on the "friends" query. I actually met a woman who didn't want to make friends with anyone because she hated being torn from them every two years. I was sad for her and what she missed out on.Hope you have a great weekend!

Linda said...

Daughter of an Air Force veteran who served in Korea and Vietnam; veteran myself though I served in no wars and I'm not at all offended and understand your position completely. War is never good and a war that goes on and on and on with no end in sight is even worse. No mother or father wants to send their son or daughter into that mess and that doesn't make you unpatriotic or non-supportive of our country - it makes you a parent who loves your child and doesn't want to see him in harm's way. There's certainly nothing wrong with that on any level.