

After...and during all this, I felt as if I was living in a constant small earthquake mode. The ground shook whenever the big dudes started their engines.
I do actually have a few ideas for this photo project but it will require that I either dig through old photos and scan them in or get out and take some new ones. Some how I know (wink wink) you guys will get sick of seeing dirt as part of a project with the word "ground" in it! For different project photos....head on over to JFargo's My World In Pictures
Last night, I had to break down and close my windows. Yes folks, it was about 85 degrees in here and David came up from downstairs (where it was about a cool 60) and declared that we can't sleep if it stays this hot and how do I turn on the A/C? I was sitting with the helicopter fan whirring speedily right above me and I had to agree with him. Visions of the electric meter running at the same speed as the ceiling fan and then a vision of my gas gauge nearing E zoomed through my head.
How in the world was I raised in a house with no A/C? Mom did finally break down and buy a window unit and God how I loved sleeping in there! She didn't get central air until about 10 years before she passed away. You just live with what you're used to. We played outside till dark, took a bath and passed out I guess :) Good old days!
One last note: I would like to thank my brother for telling me he's been walking around singing "I'm Hillary the 8th I Am" with different words of course. I now cannot get the damn song out of my head! You guys see what words you can substitute to the song and get it in your head...since the title of my blog is Gittin It Outta My Head!
12 comments:
Oh great, now I am going to be singing H-E-N-R-Y all day!I could use one of those back hoes for my garden. The hard dirt and weeds are going to kill me.NC humidity comes early and stays late. Stay cool.
Love it. Now I will have this song in my head!
Hot enough for A/C? Wow. Not sure we'll ever get there! Maybe I'll come for a visit and absorb all your heat like a lizard!Hallie :)
I really like these shots. I have some construction going on out here too, and planned on featuring a few shots of that for "From The Ground Up."Good song, too. It'll be stuck in my head all day. :)
Do you remember what a "water cooler" is? Kind of like a window unit that has water in it somehow and then the fan blows cooler air into the house. That is what I remember having as a child for a short while. We did not turn the a/c on until 4th of July, my dad worked in a steal mill melting the metal to make rebar and fence post. It was always 120+ degrees so we had to leave it hot in the house for him. I felt so sorry for my dad. He worked 20 minutes on and 30 off if I remember right. And after all of that he gets a whopping $400.00 a month retirement, and now may even lose the medical insurance. Thank goodness for S.S. and my mom's retirement. Life is NOT fair. Far as ground moving, well we have gotten SIX INCHES of rain in the last two days. Three last night, three the night before. Remember all that work Scott did before our family gathering in the backyard? Well it will need to be redone now. It has washed EVERYTHING away. Good grief!
Life before AC - how did we survive! I remember years ago I used to drive from Virginia to here and back in a little red camera with no AC - today I can't stand to go the store without it!Love the pics - I was going to take a photo of rock if I could find it. But, we can now see why you get flooded - they literally ran the water all your way!Herman's Hermits - aah, the songs.Your brother sounds as humorous as you are - I can only imagine the new words! LOL
I love your shot for the theme and yes, they move that dirt very easily! I live in an area where the machines have to move rocks (that's our soil!!) so it gets very loud whenever a new construction is going on....I have no a/c at home, opening the windows still does the job. But I need it in the car, can't imagine driving in the summer otherwise!
I didn't have ac either and I don't ever remember feeling unbearable. What gives? In fact, my memories of my grandparents' house in the summer include a pleasant breeze at all times. Now I just sweat all summer. And I do a lot less playing than I did then.
I don't know how anyone lives without AC - I am so spoiled!Have a good evening -see you - Kellan
When I was a kid my mom always had the house so chilly in the summer...I would go outside and sit on the brick steps to warm up! Now that I'm almost 49 and hot flashin' I know why it was so chilly in there. lolol
"I'm her 8th old man I'm Henry, Henry the 8th I am ....."Its stuck there, in my head. LOLOLI was raised with a "swamp cooler" the kind you hook water up to and it blows cool air. Most of the area in Colorado still has them. We have refrigerated, and we use it. In the high desert our outside temps can read 110+ in the summer, and I dont like being hot!So far we are lucky, our electric rates are not as high as the other utilities... yet. :-)
When I first moved to Connecticut in '78 there were many houses built without air conditioning, because "Connecticut was quite cool in the summer." HA! Correct if you consider continual weeks of 90 degree plus temperatures cool! Dame song! It's now in my head too!!!
Post a Comment