Persevering with panic in my head...good days and bad.

You are more than welcome in my little safe place!

Pull up a chair and help me BREATHE!

Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Trying to let go...

Are the majority of people out there getting rid of their land line phone? I mentioned in an earlier post I had gotten Magic Jack and it was still in the box. In order to have this cable linked phone, I have to get a new phone number. Having had my number for around 13 years, I am really having a problem letting it go. It's more like a "life" line instead of land line. People I haven't talked to in a long time still have this number as the only way to get in touch with me.

I currently have Time Warner Cable TV & Internet. They keep begging me to get digital phone service. I have hesitated because what if my cable goes out? I do not currently have a cell phone. That's right folks, I have managed to live just fine for almost 2 years without one. Hard to believe, I know. When, and I'd like to say if, my son goes Air Force, I will have to have some type of reliable phone to have with me at all times, because I never will know when he can call while he is in Basic Military Training. God help me if I missed those precious calls.

Back to the Magic Jack. Actually, all I have to do is plug it in the computer and go to their website and get a new number. After that, I have free long distance, call waiting and messages. No monthly fee...$29.95 per year. Sounds good, I think.

I can keep my land line until I decide if I like it. I currently do not have long distance on my home phone. I'm getting extremely frugal in my unemployed state. Duh...Even when I do go back to work, I am not going to get back into the spending habit. It's ridiculous. If I don't need it to survive, I'm NOT buying. I'm just sick of stuff. (I know, I'm not helping the economy)

Now the hard part comes if I do like the service. Once I call my telephone company and tell them to stop service, I'm sure I'll feel ecstatic at first. Take your almost $50 per month bill and shove it. If I think negative, I'm sure right after service is cut off, my cable will go off. Then what?

Bottom line here is that I guess I should just plug the damn thing in, see if I like it, if I do, then fine. If I get heebie jeebies, I'll just get a CHEAP cell phone service with miniscule minute plan for emergencies only.

My biggest concern at this moment right now, is why I bothered you with this stupid dilemma when we all have a hell of a lot more important things to worry about?

Could be I just don't want to start my day or yours, thinking about all that!



4 comments:

Michelle said...

Debbie, If you are paying almost $50.00 a month for a land line you should really get a cell phone and stop with the land line. Check out all the different providers to see which one would work best for you. We have Verizon and verizon to verizon calls do not count against your minutes and I do not get charged extra for long distance. It just uses minutes. For international calling I have an international calling card so I can call from my cell phone too. I actually have 4 lines on my account. Me, hubby, Shay and Father in law. Each additional line is 9.99. What costs more is the texting and you do not have to do that if you don't want to. Just a suggestion.

Debbie in NC said...

Michelle,that is a great idea. I am waiting to see what kind of cell phone plan David switches to IF. I could keep the lovely Magic Jack since it's paid for and get cell phone. NO LAND LINE!Thanks girl!

Annie said...

I'm not so sure that I could ever get rid of my land line. It's a form of security for me.I would, however, try that magic jack thing. Looks like it could be a great investment!

Michelle said...

Many of them out there have Family Plans. You and David could split the cost or something. You could sell the Magic Jack on Craigs List or Ebay. We have to have a land line for the alarm system but I never give out the number. I know when it rings it is not for us! Wonder why I even have a phone connected?Hows it going with the neighbor?